blugotti1

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2009
GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals. I found what I think is a old pewter button at the 1700's site I've been going to, but it's mostly just the center area of it. It looks like the shank was pushed through from the back to the front, And I believe it may have the letters "LA" as in "light artillery" on it.. I had to use my camera in macro mode then take pictures with my phone camera of the pictures because I lost my cameras usb plug..But thanks for any help!! HH

Attachments

• 165.jpg
    165.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 166.jpg
    166.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 167.jpg
    167.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 35
Hard to tell from the photos but maybe someone out there can help! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
From what I can see...it's a Rev War period BRITISH button due to that big hunk of pewter on the back and the iron wire that would have gone through it. That said, it may be a crown over letters, the image may be upside down. Will you flip it for a better look?

Upvote 0
You need to preserve it or it will deteriorate rather quickly. One method is to coat it with a 50/50 mixture of Elmer's Glue and water. Others here may have different ways to save it.

Upvote 0
pic

From what I can see...it's a Rev War period BRITISH button due to that big hunk of pewter on the back and the iron wire that would have gone through it. That said, it may be a crown over letters, the image may be upside down. Will you flip it for a better look?

it does look like a crown when I flipped it.

Attachments

• 168.jpg
    168.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
Can't ID it but the push look is typical on the old pewter buttons as the iron wire oxidizes and swells out in all directions. Moist soil is not kind to pewter buttons. Neither are pine trees.

I found the best way to stabilize mine was to soak them in a 70% Elmer's glue and 30% water for a few days then let air dry.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back