Dec 28, 2008

Attachments

• DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 316
no amount of cleaning will bring up a blank front. Looks early US 1820s-30s by the look of the Eagle. nice button :icon_thumright: (not an expert opinion & based on similar looking items on here) Someone with the books will chime in 8)

Upvote 0
It could be very worn and faint as the eagles feet are. Might have been an early uniform button used in CW?

Upvote 0
JAMT225 said:
It could be very worn and faint as the eagles feet are. Might have been an early uniform button used in CW?

definitely could be faint but cleaning won't bring up faintness

Upvote 0
I didn't want to do it any harm since appears so early, whatever may be there can wait for the right cleaning technique.

Upvote 0
JAMT225 said:
I didn't want to do it any harm since appears so early, whatever may be there can wait for the right cleaning technique.

Enjoy it as is, because that's the best it's going to be. As started above you need something to clean, to be able to clean, and there is nothing on the face of the button but the metal surface. If there was a way we'd gladly tell you, but there is not. The backmark is what makes it a neat find.

Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
JAMT225 said:

Enjoy it as is, because that's the best it's going to be. As started above you need something to clean, to be able to clean, and there is nothing on the face of the button but the metal surface. If there was a way we'd gladly tell you, but there is not. The backmark is what makes it a neat find.
:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
I always group the buttons with eagles, feathers, crowns, etc together in my collection, all of them are blank on the front side so displaying them as b/m types is the way to go on them.

Here is a sentence or two from Tice's Dating Buttons books on this type button and their backmarks.

As the 1790s neared their end, some English makers used backmarks------containing decorative elements such as laurel wreaths. Beginning around 1800, backmarks often included icons such as eagles, feathers, and crowns. The use of eagles and the U.S. Navy device in backmarks was a ploy by English manufacturers appealing to American patriotism.

Basically when I seen plain faced buttons with eagles and the other devices mentioned I consider them 1800-1820era.

Don

Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
I always group the buttons with eagles, feathers, crowns, etc together in my collection, all of them are blank on the front side so displaying them as b/m types is the way to go on them.

Here is a sentence or two from Tice's Dating Buttons books on this type button and their backmarks.

As the 1790s neared their end, some English makers used backmarks------containing decorative elements such as laurel wreaths. Beginning around 1800, backmarks often included icons such as eagles, feathers, and crowns. The use of eagles and the U.S. Navy device in backmarks was a ploy by English manufacturers appealing to American patriotism.

Basically when I seen plain faced buttons with eagles and the other devices mentioned I consider them 1800-1820era.

Don

Good info, earlier than I expected :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
I know buttons pretty well and would have to pretty much agree with the 1800 to 1820 dates. Maybe a few years one way or the other.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back