Attachments

• gilt 006.JPG
    gilt 006.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 102
  • gilt 007.JPG
    gilt 007.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 75
I think...

That the ball is a .62 Cal ball for a baker rifle. Button says gilt because it is covered in a very thin gold leaf, most likely.

Upvote 0
any idea how old the button?

Upvote 0
Your 1-piece brass flatbutton (manufactured for use on civilian clothing) with the word "gilt" as the only backmark, being a dug-in-the-US one, dates from approximately 1810 into the 1830s.

Need very-precise size measurement of the ball (in hundredths-of-an-inch) to be able to tell you anything more about it.

Upvote 0
"pinched",part is the molding spru,common on all hand molded balls

Got it! I find a lot of ww1 shrapnel balls which are always very smooth around. Older musket balls are usually more rough and not so precise. I'm not familiar with the newer ones or how they were made. So the one posted could be newer?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Got it! I find a lot of ww1 shrapnel balls which are always very smooth around. Older musket balls are usually more rough and not so precise. I'm not familiar with the newer ones or how they were made. So the one posted could be newer?

:icon_scratch:.....mine from the mid 19 TH century are pretty dang precise?Seein how the molds have changed very little from the beginning of the 19 TH Cent. to now,I challenge you tell tell the difference by "Precision"

Upvote 0
What I mean is how smooth it is to the touch. I'm not saying I'm an expert or disagreeing with anyone but from what I've read and learned in the field is that older musket balls are more "grainy" or rough. Let's say civil war era and earlier.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back