Bullet?

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found this item which appears to be a bullet but I'm not sure. Any ID on this thing?

papuna4a.jpg
e5y3amen.jpg
beruvu5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, .45 ACP FMJ. Stands for Automatic Colt Pistol and full metal jacket, which simply means the lead core of the bullet is surrounded by a copper jacket, and doesn't expand when it hits the target, rather it passes through without deforming. The bullet should weigh 230 grains, fired from a model 1911 pistol with a muzzle velocity of 850 feet per second. I attach pictures of loaded bullets, and a picture of a model 1911 Colt.
45.jpg1911.jpg

Upvote 0
Forgot to mention, .45 caliber means the bullet is 5 thousands of an inch smaller than a half inch. If you have calipers or a mic, measure the bullet to make sure what you have, it would measure .451 or .452, and weigh 230 grains if it's the military version, which it probably is from what I can see just looking at the picture. The cartridge was invented by John Browning in 1904 for his semi auto pistol, which was adopted by the army in 1911 as their service pistol, and which is the reason it's called a model 1911. That pistol stayed in service until 1985, when it was replaced by the 9mm, but recently the .45 cartridge is making a comeback, especially by the special forces, but not the 1911 pistol, they are using a more modern firearm.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Very informative. It was found in Guam and would be assumed from WWII.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Very informative. It was found in Guam and would be assumed from WWII.

I wouldn't bet against it being from WWII. And that brings up another thing. Lots of marines were armed with Thompson Sub Machine guns, and those fired that same .45 ACP round as the pistol at the rate of 600 rounds a minute. So yeah, there should be lots of those bullets on Guam.
This photo is a Marine in the South Pacific using a Thompson.
1a.jpg
And this is a close up of the gun.
1b.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back