Mar 31, 2016
australia
Detector(s) used
garrett at gold
fisher f75 ltd
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone.
I found a long thin projectile the other day. Is it a bullet? If so what gun has it come from? thumbnail_20190613_164657.jpgthumbnail_20190613_164713_001.jpg

The only bullet that would even be remotely close would be a 6.5mm Carcano but I don’t think it is

Upvote 0
I thought it looked very similar to a bullet shape.
Can anyone ID this larger thicker bullet?DSC_0056.JPGDSC_0057.JPGDSC_0058.JPG

Upvote 0
The only time i have seen a bullet that long was from a person that tried to fire a .45 acp cast bullet round through a 30.06..

This was a way army personal were told to disable M1 garand's during WW2. but later test found that sometimes the bullet left the barrel as a long slug. and did not disable the weapon.

Upvote 0
The bottom photos the larger one looks like a 45 apc. The smaller one looks like a 8mm blank. I'm not sure on the lead one. Its pretty long and thin. And I am not familiar with any rounds that look like that in that size. I could be something else. If you could get a set of calipers and see what the actual diameter is that could be helpful in determining what it is.

Upvote 0
thank you great information!
Here is the item next to similar aged lead bullets found in the same area.
DSC_0066.JPG

Upvote 0
Welcome Treasureman, and interesting find! Is it jacketed? The Japanese Arisaka used a bullet that stuck way out of the cartridge case but I don't think I've ever seen the bullets. If it's pure lead without a jacket or a gas check it would likely be some version of a black powder projectile. during the age of black powder many arms in popular usage were made by individual private gunsmiths. They experimented with all kinds of ways to increase accuracy at longer ranges. Can you see any rifling marks under magnification? If not that would make it a drop or a bullet fired with a sabot. That of course would depend on the fact that it is a bullet. Many Confederate troops carried their own personal arms instead of issue. Especially the snipers. If you live near a major battlefield they often have displays of arms collected on the battlefield. Gettysburg has a great one. It's surprising that they include that wide a range of diversity.

I have also seen heavy gage lead wire in .250 diameter.

Good luck and best wishes!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you Reanm8er. I have looked at those Arisaka rounds and they have a similar longer shape but not quite there. That is interesting you say 'If it's pure lead without a jacket or a gas check it would likely be some version of a black powder projectile. during the age of black powder many arms in popular usage were made by individual private gunsmiths. They experimented with all kinds of ways to increase accuracy at longer ranges'.

If that is the case how would one find out about these type of projectiles or is there very little information due to them being made by private gunsmiths?

Upvote 0
I will have a closer look for making some time over the weekend. I do notice some kind of marks but is vague underneath the lead patina

Upvote 0
I don't know if they would help you or not, but the FBI, I believe, has the most comprehensive bullet database in the us. You might also try the NRA museum. There is also an outfit called Springfield Research that might be able to help, but for any of these sources you're going to need a accurate diameter and length.

Best wishes and good luck!

Upvote 0
For around $ 20 you can buy a dial or digital calipers. They will eliminate most of the guesses.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back