Bullet identification

BjarniM

Nov 7, 2016
Iceland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20161107_191802.jpg

I found this bullet while hiking in an area very close to population centres. Not an area where any hunting is done but where the US/UK military might have had something to do with during WW2. It is very slightly deformed with the tip undamaged. Found at the bottom of a hill by a path in the ground so perhaps excavated by the fornation of the path.... or if its a modern hunting round, shot in the air from long distance and landed in a snow drift to prevent deformation.

Approx 9mm wide and 35mm wide weighing between 10 - 11 grams.
Single ring. 6R rifling on it. Slightly corroded indentation in the bottom.

Very curious where this bullet might come from. Hope the picture comes through (posting from phone)
20161108_091425.jpg
20161108_091533.jpg
20161108_091625.jpg

Last edited:
First off, welcome to this site
you will need to post better, brighter pictures
what makes you think its a bullet?
need to see a image of the flat end
Brady

Upvote 0
9mm = 0.356" So a .35 caliber rifle.

11 grams = 170 grains

The rifle appears to be a spitzer but a 9mm bullet of 11 grams would be much squatter in appearance.

Since you are giving metric dimensions and weights I'm guessing if you measure more carefully it is 7.92mm or 8mm.

Upvote 0
First off, welcome to this site
you will need to post better, brighter pictures
what makes you think its a bullet?
need to see a image of the flat end
Brady

Thank you. I have posted 3 better pictures. The caliber seems closer to 8mm.

Upvote 0
tn_md.gif
I noticed this is your first thread BjarniM - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Upvote 0
Based on the images an 8mm Mauser, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06 or one of a dozen similar "3-line" rifles used in warfare and by civilians throughout the world.

Impossible to do better without measurements in thousandth of an inch. FMJ bullets have been flying around for a long time and most countries had something similar from the end of WWI to . . . now.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back