🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Bullet ID

ncsuwolf

Jul 21, 2024
Can anyone help id this bullet? Found in western chesterfield county va. Several other 3 ring Minnie balls and round balls found at same site. Dia. .571”, length 1.01”
IMG_3083.jpeg
IMG_3084.jpeg
IMG_3085.jpeg
IMG_3082.jpeg

I have looked through Vol. 4 without success. Is there any way you can give us a weight in grains? I am now going to look through the Union bullet volumes. Wish me luck.
I also looked at the Dixie Gun works BA1103. It has a diameter of.575 and a weight of 475 grains. However, I can't find the bullet length. It does look a lot like yours.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...duct_name/BA1103+Dixie+Cast+Minie+Bullet+.575

Upvote 2
I have looked through Vol. 4 without success. Is there any way you can give us a weight in grains? I am now going to look through the Union bullet volumes. Wish me luck.
I also looked at the Dixie Gun works BA1103. It has a diameter of.575 and a weight of 475 grains. However, I can't find the bullet length. It does look a lot like yours.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...duct_name/BA1103+Dixie+Cast+Minie+Bullet+.575
Thanks for your efforts. I don’t currently have a scale, but can try to pick one up today.

Upvote 1
Response from Dixie gun works: “Ba1103 are cast from Lyman blocks #57521305. You will have to ask Lyman where they got it.”

Upvote 1
511.4 grains. Keep in mind, if this is a short pour as suggested, the weight doesn’t buy you much

Upvote 0
511.4 grains. Keep in mind, if this is a short pour as suggested, the weight doesn’t buy you much
I know that. I cannot find a bullet in any of my reference books that would come close to your measurements. And, to keep people from having to return to the original post (meaning me), here are your measurements:
Diameter .571 later changed to .573-.579 which isn't really that big of a difference
Length 1.01"
weight 511.4 grains
if it were a full nose cast, or even a full size bullet with a complete tip, what do you think the length and weight would be?
Please understand that I am not trying to convince you that this is a later muzzle loader bullet, I am just trying to think of anything that could help ID it.
It has me bumfuzzled too!

Last edited:
Upvote 1
I know that. I cannot find a bullet in any of my reference books that would come close to your measurements. And, to keep people from having to return to the original post (meaning me), here are your measurements:
Diameter .571 later changed to .573-.579 which isn't really that big of a difference
Length 1.01"
weight 511.4 grains
if it were a full nose cast, or even a full size bullet with a complete tip, what do you think the length and weight would be?
Please understand that I am not trying to convince you that this is a later muzzle loader bullet, I am just trying to think of anything that could help ID it.
That’s a tough question. I’d say add.1-.15” to length and maybe 50 grains to weight? That is a complete SWAG.

Also, although this is a .54, the rings are close(ish)……https://www.ebay.com/itm/3755256574...H_6gS-n_SCK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Length 1.01"
weight 511.4 grains
Thanks for all your efforts

Upvote 1
Length 1.01"
weight 511.4 grains
Pulled the bullet out a few moments ago, and with the calipers (and a lot of imagination) I’m going to say add .15-.2” to the length. Staying with 50 grains as i have no idea. I’m hanging my hat on Lyman’s claim on their website that their molds are made from period bullets. Unfortunately I found one on their site that weigh 510 grains……it’s making me second guess myself. On the bright side, once we figure this one out (or not) I have another doozy for the forum. Hopefully that one won’t be as hard. Thanks again to all for your efforts

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back