image-270545488.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 105
  • image-3891037482.jpg
    image-3891037482.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 93
  • image-1336151924.jpg
    image-1336151924.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 87
I am not sure how old your bullet is but the .357 came about in 1934. They have had periods of popularity since then. I bought mine in 1980 and I have a box of ammo that looks like yours but the stamping is different. Some of the folks here are real good with dating cartridges so maybe they will come along soon.

Upvote 0
The semi-wadcutter load is a practice bullet as a rule. Really hard to tell the age but see em like that one still used very often. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
My uncle said no way to tell the age but its old because the way the seal is crimped that is no longer standard.

Upvote 0
Your .357-caliber cartridge was made sometime in the second half of the 20th-Century by the Remington-Peters ammunition company. The bullet's wide flat top is called the "wadcutter" style, made specifically for punching a neat clearly-visible hole in a paper target.

I notice that there is no firing-pin mark on the primer-disc in your cartridge's base... which means it is unfired. The primer MAY have spoiled during a few decades in the ground, but maybe not. So, although it is safe to simply handle, and carry in your pocket, if you are unable to be absolutely certain somebody else won't monkey around with it, I suggest you dispose of it in a reliably permanent and safe way (like, throw it into a deep river).

Edit: A long phonecall interrupted me as I was typing my reply. I see TNGUNS has already told you it is a wadcutter type of bullet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My uncle said no way to tell the age but its old because the way the seal is crimped that is no longer standard.

If you are talking about the crimp of the case around the bullet, that tells me it's probably a hand load. I crimp mine when I load them. Might not have to crimp in a revolver, but I do it anyway. I haven't bought a factory box of 357's for so long, I don't remember what they look like out of the box, crimped or not.

Upvote 0
north east 002.jpgnorth east 001.jpg These are 158 gr. semi wadcutters I use in low velocity target loads.

Upvote 0
The semi wad cutter retains the max advantages of a solid projectile with max guarenteed clipping effects in the body of a living being. It is consistent in it's stopping power while a hollow point can be spotty, hence this is the projectile that I chose for my S&W .357 while in the US Border Patrol.

BOSN is quite correct the crimp is to retain the projectile in the case with the relatively heavy recoil in a revolver. If it isn't used, the recoil might move the projectile forward out of the case and tie up the cylinder. This could be embarrassing.

Mr B's picture elegantly shows the forward crimping goove in the projectile.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you are talking about the crimp of the case around the bullet, that tells me it's probably a hand load. I crimp mine when I load them. Might not have to crimp in a revolver, but I do it anyway. I haven't bought a factory box of 357's for so long, I don't remember what they look like out of the box, crimped or not.

What he said. When you handload - as most who shoot lead do anymore - the roll crimp is about the only practical way to keep a bullet in the cylinder from rocking forward and jambing the cylinder.

Embarassing in the middle of a PPC shoot to yell "JAMBED!" and have to withdraw and clear the problem. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Roll crimp" , "wad cutter", "PPC"
Brings back lots of memories as I shot pistols competitively from 1999-2005. Including Bianchi cup, IRC and steel challenge.
Shot hundreds of thousands of those bullets. And yes, a roll crimp is needed on most revolver rounds even very light target loads as the guns recoil would/could work bullet loose from shell.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back