Bullet experts, need help.

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Ace 250, XP deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am detecting a house that I have researched was built in the late 1700's. During the Civil War a gentleman lived in the house that was in the 1st MA sharpshooters unit. History of this person was well documented in the History of this town. I was told from the landowner that soldiers would practice on this land. Now my question for you. Yesterday I dug up what appears to be a smashed bullet. I found it against a stone wall on the property. I have attached pictures of front and back. The bullet seems to be small as compared to other civil war bullets I have seen. The back opening is only about 8 mm which seems small. The other side has all the prints of many other bullets I have found over the years. Hopefully someone can help with this bullet. Thanks in advance.
bullet 1.jpg
bullet 2.jpg

What does 8mm relate to, is that .357? If so, my swag is .38 wad cutter, which is a modern bullet.

Upvote 0
What does 8mm relate to, is that .357? If so, my swag is .38 wad cutter, which is a modern bullet.

There is an 8mm round. Not sure how that measurement (in photo) could be accurate to anything though.

Upvote 0
Could be an all lead .33 WCF (.33 Winchester) bullet or any number of pre-jacketed rifle bullets.

Upvote 0
The measurement I took was across the back of the bullet, it is not perfectly round and measured with a ruler, so is not that accurate. Getting back to the site and hopefully have more luck. Thanks for input.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back