Buffalo nickel oddity ?

JimVT36

Jan 19, 2014
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a small collection of Buffalo nickels one of which seems to have been cleverly altered by an "artist" . Has anyone ever seen this done before and us there anyone who collects altered coins like this one..

image-3993104798.jpg

Jim - Vermont

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Hobo nickel, never heard of it !! How is this pic.

Upvote 0
Hey Jim,

I'd title that Hobo Nickel Lost in Towel. Will those i-Pads do a Macro?

skull-21.jpg

Upvote 0
Lost in towel is funny, it a step up from lost in bed spread because my wife banned me from the bedroom. I don think the ipad can do any better but I'm no techie for sure. Still type with on finger and use the phrase "dial" when talking about a telephone.. Read your article on the hobo. Amazing what people went through way back when..

Upvote 0
yes its a hobo nickel. there was a fairly famous hobo that did that particular style some of his nickles fetch several hundred to about a thousand dollars but it would need authenticated.

Upvote 0
Wow that's interesting. Any idea who is an expert for authentication. Amazing to think someone did the art work by hand as a form of survival. Thanks for commenting.

Upvote 0
Gman and others that commented, I contacted the hobo society and understand why you wanted a macro pic. I looked under a jeweled loop and there are indeed carving marks although well warn down. The good new is no rotary marks indicating from what I understand is from modern day grinding tools. This be a good find and if anything something to keep me occupied for awhile. Thanks all for the education.. Happy hunting..

Upvote 0
Wow, that is so cool! Really talented if you look at the details...

I was cracking up looking at some of the other designs from the Hobo Society link!! True art hehe

Upvote 0
For one last follow up, a friend had a jewelry loop so we balanced the ipad on the loop with the coin underneath.

image-3219150213.jpg

I didn't know if it's genuine but at least I can go the the next level. But for now I have to get back to work because my wife said I've spent to much time playing around !!

Have a good afternoon all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If its not an original then someone put a lot of effort in making it look like one. :icon_scratch: This maybe something to have graded. :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Upvote 0
I think you have a rare and valuable piece there. Hope you pursue it, and lets us know the outcome.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back