Buckle help # 1

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all,

I would like to thank everyone for looking at my finds and for all your help in identifying them. I am posting buckles now. These look similar to some of the shoe buckles out there but these are of stamped brass ( I think, very thin) I'm guessing maybe worn somewhere on clothing based on the little grommets still attached to one of them??? I finished making this display case and now it's time to identify it's contents ;D

PS.... Here is a cool site for buckles http://www.netmarshall.co.uk/buckletitlepage.htm

Attachments

• CWBuckleCase.jpg
    CWBuckleCase.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 274
  • CWBuckleCaseOpen.jpg
    CWBuckleCaseOpen.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 273
  • Buckle.JPG
    Buckle.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 269
Thanks guys, it's fun to make a display case for relics. Any ideas on what these two buckles may have been used for? I have an idea that they are mid 1800's based on similar pictures I have seen. I am very interested in finding out exactly what each of my buckles were used for. Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0
The closest match would be the knee buckles we previously identified.

However they went out of fashion just before 1800. I can't help but think that because of the construction & gromits left on that they were a modern fashion item on clothes or even some kind of accessories.

Where PBK when you need him ::)

Upvote 0
Many of the ones on the left look like others I have seen posted that were suspenders buckles.?Monty

Upvote 0
Great site Gypsyheart, I'll keep on looking. I am leaning towards most of the buckles in this case being something that was on clothing only because they are thin. They are not thick like the breeches knee buckles nor the shoe buckles of the mid 1700's. I think we solved 1/2 the mystery. I need to figure out where on the clothing they were used. Thanks to all for your help. It really completes a nice display when you know what the relics were used for.

Ed-

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back