Buckle and a piece to a heel plate?

Ace 350

Apr 8, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 and XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these items along side some Civil War bullets and trigger guards. So I'm wondering what these are.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The top one looks like a heel plate from a civil war era shoe. The bottom piece, I have no idea. You are obviously hunting in a good area.

Upvote 0
The object in the first photo is a brass protector for the toe end of a shoe's sole, not a heel plate. Its design was patented on Nov. 29, 1859. Those which were manufactured before the Patent expired (within 17 years after the Patent date) are marked "Pat. Nov. 29, 1859." After the Patent expired, anybody was free to manufacture it without paying a royalty to the Inventor/Patent-holder.

Some versions of it have larger holes, to make stitching onto the end of the shoe's thick leather sole easier.

Your shoe-toe protector (which is what the Patent calls it) is heavily worn and broken. The photo below shows an intact one, marked with the Patent date.

Attachments

• shoe-toe-protector_marked-Pat-Nov29-1859_toeprotector.jpg
    shoe-toe-protector_marked-Pat-Nov29-1859_toeprotector.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The second item doesn't look like a buckle to me because the four holes are probably screw holes. That's a tough one to ID!

Upvote 0
The second looks like a Pull from a library card catalog.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back