Bronze square shank nail from Bahamas

Aaron0307

Jul 22, 2018
Millstadt, Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were on a cruise and I found this nail in the rocks near the shore on an island in the Bahamas. It seems to be made of bronze and has round head and square shank that comes to a point. Could this be a plank nail from an old ship?
15F6C287-69D4-46E4-A17F-5B54C9809ED3.jpeg9C4A1BC1-3B22-464E-8EC1-69A2393A7F88.jpeg1F571FE6-2A1D-481D-B197-EC2563843409.jpeg25560669-7A67-42B7-A3F8-296A23766CFB.jpeg

It appears to be an old boat/ship nail. Not long enough to be a plank nail. Maybe from something on deck?

Upvote 0
We were on a cruise and I found this nail...
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Aaron0307! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE).
metal_detector.gif
2nd - A few informative articles talking about nails...

University of Vermont - Nails: Clues to a Building's History
Nails provide one of the best clues to help determine the age of historic buildings, especially those constructed during the nineteenth century...

Nail Chronology - National Park Service
tn_adobe.gif
PDF File 1.37MB
tn_adobe.gif

The National Park Service in its historic structures restoration program has developed some research techniques...

tn_nails_04.jpg

The History of Nail Making
History does not record who it was, but the incredible results of that inspirational moment are all around us - in the houses we live in, the bridges we cross, the furniture we sit on...

Your Online Source for Identifying Fakes and Reproductions - Nails As Clues to Age
Most everyone knows that handmade nails are older than machine made nails...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back