Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 2.5 hours on the fields today. The field below is the site of the original town where I detect, founded in 1008 AD, they moved the town around 1250 AD. Although I can not detect here, even with hand written permission from the owners, I can still walk the fields and look for eye finds. I walked it for about 20 minutes and only found a lot of mud on my shoes. That may change with my next permit as we are about to celebrate 1000 years so I may get to detect here.
8Oct06altkem.jpg

Afterwards, I went to a field I have only detected for about 2 hours and detected for an hour, didn’t find much and remembered my last hunt here, didn’t find much! I did find two square nails, one is 3.5” long and the other is a huge 10” at least, neat iron finds. I moved to another field, right across the street, found two buttons, a musket ball, some junk and this little broken 1720 silver one Kreuzer coin. Obverse. Nice find but it’s one of those frustrations of field detecting.
8Oct061720O.jpg

Reverse of the 1720.
8Oct061720R.jpg

After detecting I went into town where a flea market was, this Sunday the stores were also open, very rare in these parts of Germany for a store to be open on Sunday, the Bakers can’t even bake bread on Sunday. Some screwy medieval religious rules still in effect but are going through change. Talked to a guy at a stand who had several detecting finds, I asked him if he found them as it was very obvious and he said yes so we had a good conversation about detecting, he still would not come down on the price of a cross bow arrow bolt head about 600 years old or more. I did buy these two pins, they are from a set of all German traffic signs. I have found a few in poor condition and thought it would be nice to have a few in nice condition. Paid about $1.20 each.
8Oct06fleaO.jpg

Reverse of the pins. I went to another stand, the guy had a WWII silver 2 Mark coin with a swastika, he wanted $12.00 for it, coin dealers sell them for $3.00 and they are not too hard to get. I told him he was crazy with that and a few of his other prices. Went across from him to a guy who sells many coins and has a decent selection. Was looking through a coin album and picked out 2 silver swastika coins to buy, then opened a small box of mixed coins, many with swastikas and nothing very old, picked out 3 coins and laid them on the table, I have looked through it twice before at other flew markets and have bought about 15 coins from this guy. After 10 minutes of me browsing, he approached me and said “I believe those were closed when you found them” I said yes they were, do you want me to close them? He said “they were closed” so I picked up the coins, closed the box and the album and said, the box is closed and the album is closed, my wallet is also closed and I’ll never buy anything from you again, Bye! And I walked off before I caused a seen, not sure what his problem was but he has proved to be a strange kind of brew. He once pulled out a framed picture of Hitler from under the table, it was in a bag, much like a guy in a trench coat on the street, “Hey buddy, wanna buy a picture of Hitler, then opened his trench coat” LOL! Still had a good day detecting! HH, Mike
8Oct06fleaR.jpg

Upvote 0
Nice old coin, even broken. Congrats !!!

HH

Sand

Nice! Going back to find the other piece to it? Congrats!

The 1720 silver is from Mainz, a long way from home. Amazing how many old coins I find from around Germany, I'm lucky the town where I detect started out as a crossroad and still is a crossroad, they just don't stop here anymore, LOL! I pounded the area where I found the coin hoping to find the other piece but, no luck! HH, Mike

HI MIKE CONGRATS ON YOUR FINDS AND THATS NICE OLD COIN

T.P

Very nice Mike, Congrats!!!
I wish the stores here in the U.S. would go back to being closed on Sunday. These days you can't tell a Sun. from a Mon.
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Man Mike that would have been a nice one.

Still good finds by all means though. But that one looked like it was in alot better of condition than most that you find.

HH Jer

Good post Mike and that business about the medieval religious rules was really interesting.

I really liked how you discussed the permits and flea market experiences. Are people in general a bit on the crabby order over there?

Nice finds and keep posting these very informative posts.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back