!!! BROKE THE CENTURY MARK TODAY!!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Man am i stoked!! i went hunting for clad at a high school built in the 60s this morning not really looking for anything old when i get a 50 cent piece hit at 4 inches on the soccer field. out pops a 1850 LARGE CENT!
only two ways it could have gotten there! 1-some kid dropped it out of his pocket while playing soccer or 2- the man who owned the land in the 1800s dropped it while plowing his field! there is a farm that was owned by a man named TALLEY a half mile away that was built in 1814.(it is on my list of places to hit!) i also came away with:

1-925 silver ear ring
5-washington quarters
7- roosevelt dimes
2-jefferson nickels
4- memorial cents
1- english coin about the size of a silver dollar.it says ELIZABETH II. DG. RFG.FD on it and is dated 1977. anyone have an idea of what it might be? i am going to go to my fathers house and borrow his scanner so i can post a picture of the large cent and the english coin.i will try to post a pic later.
one other thing...........the large cent has that green corrosion on the back of the coin and a little on the front (you can clearly read the date though) i guess i should just leave it in this condition or should i find a way to clean it up? thanks for looking!! ;D

Upvote 0
Hey Hollow. Your english coin is probably a British Crown. The DG stands for Dei Gratia (I believe "By the grace of God") and the R in RFD is for Regina, or Queen. Hope that Helps. Not sure if they were silver or not in 1977. Probably a composite of some type, but definately a neat coin.
Congrats on the large cent. I will tell you how I clean mine. I soak them in some hydrogen peroxide for a day or so and then use a soft brass brush to wipe away what I can will gently brushing. Then I coat them with a nice coat of past wax. They end up looking pretty good. Great finds...Congrats...Lance

Thats the best....Congrats on your finds....hope to see the pics soon

GL & HH,

Dugholes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back