✅ SOLVED British Crown?

LuckOfTheIrish

Jan 28, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Recently I have been getting into some Revolutionary War artifacts and one of these pieces is still stumping! Can anyone help me with this British Crown motif that I found recently. All of the other artifacts all date to the Rev War (and I have found almost 0 trash) so it is definitely from that time period in my opinions. What do you think?

The picture also has my half of a British 53rd Regiment buckle from the same site.

Attachments

• DSCN1011.JPG
    DSCN1011.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 188
I'm now changing mine to perfume bottle top, as my similar one reads; 'Potter & Moore Mitcham'. I knew we were close with bottle top.

Crusader,

Visually we have a near perfect match with the examples you posted. :icon_thumright:

Not 100% sure yet if the sizes match, or the threaded shaft is the same. Seems we are on the right track though.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/203051-crown-perfume-bottle-cover-jigs-lipstick.html

Holy Water bottles also are noted with a crown top stopper as well.

CC Hunter

Attachments

• HolyWaterBottle.jpg
    HolyWaterBottle.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 0
Crusader,

Visually we have a near perfect match with the examples you posted. :icon_thumright:

Not 100% sure yet if the sizes match, or the threaded shaft is the same. Seems we are on the right track though.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/203051-crown-perfume-bottle-cover-jigs-lipstick.html

Holy Water bottles also are noted with a crown top stopper as well.

CC Hunter
The shaft on the one posted went into metal, not cork, the threads are very fine and the bottom flat, and to thick, the colour to is much smaller than that of the perfume bottle top.

SS

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The shaft on the one posted went into metal, not cork, the threads are very fine and the bottom flat, and to thick, the colour to is much smaller than that of the perfume bottle top.

SS

Being of open mind, I'll do my best to follow along with other viewpoints. :) However, describing "colour" as small, has certainly lost me there. :icon_scratch:

Yeap, I'm sure its this kind of thing, whether cork or not. Shame the OP doesn't respond after our efforts.

Agree as well. A description by the finder detailing the metal type, as well as a photo of the shaft end would be useful in our analysis.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
I am truly impressed! Let me start off by saying thank you for all of your effort. I have been away from my computer for that past couple of days due to travel and was absolutely stunned with the number of responses I had received on this topic. Based upon examining it I think it would be safe to say that this is the metal crown from atop a stopper. SOLVED! I believe that the threading on the piece may have been used to secure the metal piece to a piece of cork or functioned as a screw top as in the case of a flask. Some of you had questioned what metal it is? It is a white metal alloy or pewter. It is difficult to tell due to the highly caked on red clay staining the objects surface.

Upvote 0
As for the bottom of the piece.. it is actually broken off at an angle meaning we are unable to measure the exact size of the base or see it exactly.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back