Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Got back out this weekend to the British Revolutionary War camp that produced a few brown bess components and 71st regiment of foot button last week. While the targets are heavily masked by iron, we were confident there were more relics in the dirt. For this week, I elected to run the Deus rather than the CTX to compare success. While I love the CTX stability in highly mineralized conditions, this site is certainly a better fit for the DEUS target separation. Covering the exact same dirt, I managed to dig a staggering 4 harness bosses...completed masked to the CTX. I'd like to speculate that they may of belonged to the British occupation force, however I suspect they are early to mid 1700s. Feel free to weigh in-

P1240120.JPGP1240121.JPGP1240122.JPGP1240123.JPGP1240124.JPGP1240125.JPGP1240126.JPGP1240127.JPG

The only button I recovered was an early one- late 17th to early 18th century 2 piece button.

P1240129.JPGP1240130.JPGP1240133.JPG

Among the other finds was lead slag, iron rose head nails, and the base to a iron kettle. The big surprise came late after digging the shell rosette. After digging the plug I noticed large amounts of black glass in the hole. A bit of investigation revealed an undisturbed 18th century glass dump. While I'm not a glass collector, the amount of black glass was ridiculous-perhaps the results of a serious British kegger :laughing7:

20160124_125042.jpg20160124_125049.jpgP1240116.JPG

All in all a productive day digging although the hunt continues for my next regimental button. Thanks for looking

P1240119.JPGP1240131.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 13
The tops all look close to the same length, odd. I wonder if you found the target range area ? Bottles for targets ???

HEY O7 I THINK YOU NEED A LITTLE HELP THERE DIGGING . BOY LOVE TO FIND SOME OF THOSE ITEMS.. DANG NICE...

The depth if the bottles had me stumped (only a few inches below the surface) but given all are late 18th century, I suspect it was a British refuse pit rather than a traditional privy.

The ones I've found so far in the lowcountry are like that- basically right on the surface and only go down about a foot. That's an incrdible amount of bottles though! So cool!

The depth if the bottles had me stumped (only a few inches below the surface) but given all are late 18th century, I suspect it was a British refuse pit rather than a traditional privy.

The ones I've found so far in the lowcountry are like that- basically right on the surface and only go down about a foot. That's an incrdible amount of bottles though! So cool!

Thanks Luke, good to know-hopefully a complete one in there somewhere

Pretty wild site! Love the bottles, perhaps an unbroken one is down a bit farther.

Outstanding horse hardware and the early construction button is a fine example. Seem even a slight disturbing of the soil (harrow drag) would make a world of difference.

Russ

Outstanding horse hardware and the early construction button is a fine example. Seem even a slight disturbing of the soil (harrow drag) would make a world of difference.

Russ

Thanks Russ, the site is covered in trees and vegetation so I doubt any soil rotation is possible. Plenty of area to sift though, the iron masking was giving even the Deus fits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back