brass thing

yorky

Jul 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PC280022.JPGCould anyone tell me what this could be please? Found in Scotland on pasture landPC280018.JPGPC280018.JPG

It looks like some kind of fancy antique turnbuckle. What it was used on I can say. Maybe an old horse drawn buggy some how?

Upvote 0
Thanks for that - I thought it was something to do with Horses but still unsure

Upvote 0
Thanks for that - I thought it was something to do with Horses but still unsure
Well where ever it was used, it was made to have some fancy styling to it and not just being functional. It could have been used on a large fancy tent, Maybe in the past there was a circus set up in that pasture long ago? That be cool! Could find even more treasure. Yes some finds are just a clue to what could be found, or at least that how my playful mind thinks at times. At times my wife says "can't you just grow up" where do you get thought like you do? I feel bad for her. I like being nuts at times, it makes life fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome:hello:

Wow, I can see why you posted this! It's unlike anything I have ever seen. Very interesting. The combination of brass & steel (residue left) does suggest its horse related, but other than that:dontknow:

Upvote 0
Thanks crusader:icon_thumleft: If i don't find out what it is It is good to hang my plants from

Upvote 0
The rust residue looks like it might have been iron rollers, like something was intended to pass through the slot that was going to move back and forth. Looks like it was attached to something about an inch thick and only needed to be finger tight. That makes me think it's only a guide, not something intended for heavy duty use. I'm not familiar with other cultures and what they use on carts, buggies and wagons, that said, if people think it's horse related, perhaps Gypsy??? I don't know, you sure have a head scratcher, if I found that thing, it would drive me nuts.

Upvote 0
The rust residue looks like it might have been iron rollers, like something was intended to pass through the slot that was going to move back and forth. Looks like it was attached to something about an inch thick and only needed to be finger tight. That makes me think it's only a guide, not something intended for heavy duty use. I'm not familiar with other cultures and what they use on carts, buggies and wagons, that said, if people think it's horse related, perhaps Gypsy??? I don't know, you sure have a head scratcher, if I found that thing, it would drive me nuts.
it has been driving me nuts no one knows what it is I have had it for 2 years always wondering what it is

Upvote 0
I was thinking perhaps rein guides through the dash, or perhaps guides off of the harness some how. So I looked up some pictures, and what I found was Gypsy wagons didn't have a dash, and the only guides I could find, at least in this one photo of a Gypsy set up, the lines are passing through a rectangle on the collar, followed by a round guide just like everyone else.
Gypsy_caravan.jpg Gypsy_caravan1a.jpg

Upvote 0
Speaking of Gypsy's, where did they all go. I remember Gypsy's passing through town when I was a kid, around WWII or perhaps a little after, and thinking about it, I can't recollect seeing any since., anywhere???

Upvote 0
I'm looking over vintage pack saddles. It could be a part of that? May even be military like an HD cinch on a pack saddle? Heck I came across a European Gypsy pack saddle and it had a lot of brass on it. Hope I find a pack saddle with that type of hardware on it. I do think its related to a harness of some kind. At least I'm seeing some very interesting things on vintage military and other type pack saddle rigs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's exactly what you're considering using it for. Either a clamp on hanging plant holder or lantern holder................

Upvote 0
A-BN

8420577165_5a93e77abf_z.jpg

Post Horn looking end makes me think of the hunt, and kinda makes me wanna reread The Crying of Lot 49.

crying_49.jpg

Attachments

• 8420577165_5a93e77abf_z.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 110
Upvote 0
The steel parts do spin like something passes through them

Upvote 0
The steel parts do spin like something passes through them

Yeah, I thought that but it still looks like nothing I have seen. So its not a 'common' horse related piece, or maybe something only used in Scotland??

Upvote 0
Indeed item related to Scotland...May be a tiny Snuff Mull??? New thing me, but very cool pieces they are. What do they symbolize?.
Does this item have any stamps, numbers, markings?

SNUFF MULL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can't find any markings looked with my magnifing glass by the way:hello: I am also called Grant

Upvote 0
Can't find any markings looked with my magnifing glass by the way:hello: I am also called Grant
Thanks Yorky! The only thing I can say about this item is if I had to make a bet on where it was used? I'd say it's a part of a harness. My hunch it is it's part of a quick hitch used in early harness racing. Maybe the field you found it in was used as a race track in the past?

So your also called 'Grant'. How cool!... My Mom gave me that name as she was a great admirer of paintings by the artist Grant Wood. I think she hoped I'd be an artist? She was a teacher and always exposed me to museums and such. I'm not an artist, but do hunt for things of value. So all that exposer to the art, history & antiquities has paid off very well for me in some cases. The path I took in life was more inspired by her older 1/2 brother who was a drifter and hobo during the great depression. His stories absolutely captivated my young imagination. What I picked up from him has been worth it's weight in gold to me.

Upvote 0
It looks to me like the horn would get in the way of free strap/rein passage. Personally, I don't think it is harness or horse related.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back