tinner

Sep 29, 2021
north west U.S.
Detector(s) used
Manticore
Equinox 800
garrett 400
Hello everyone,
Wow, I realy thought I'd found something when I dug this brass coin-sized Piece up!! Turns out it's just a round piece of brass with a "W" stamped on either side of it. It's about the size of an american nickel. Any Ideas? I found it on an old homestead near some corrals.

Attachments

• 20240903_233257.jpg
    20240903_233257.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20240903_233305.jpg
    20240903_233305.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20240903_233335.jpg
    20240903_233335.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 52
May want to look up who lived at the homestead as one of there first/last names began w/ a "W". It would be cool if they were still alive! Then you could find out "the rest of the story" - as Paul Harvey said.

Upvote 2
No hole in it for it to be strung and the "W" is stamped with heavy blow from a machine-made die. Not sure what those facts are consistent with. Interesting piece.

Upvote 2
Hello everyone,
Wow, I realy thought I'd found something when I dug this brass coin-sized Piece up!! Turns out it's just a round piece of brass with a "W" stamped on either side of it. It's about the size of an american nickel. Any Ideas? I found it on an old homestead near some corrals.
I was going to say laundry tag but them not having the hole to tie to the bag..not sure

Upvote 1
No hole in it for it to be strung and the "W" is stamped with heavy blow from a machine-made die. Not sure what those facts are consistent with. Interesting piece.
Not sure either. I believe it was struck by hand as the W on the one side is not centered and not an even stamp. The homestead is early 1900's. the token was about 5" deep.

Upvote 0
May want to look up who lived at the homestead as one of there first/last names began w/ a "W". It would be cool if they were still alive! Then you could find out "the rest of the story" - as Paul Harvey said.
For sure, what's left of the homestead is a foundation and an area where an outhouse was.
I think the homestead is early 1900's as I found a 1915 penny in the area of where the barn once stood.
Good Idea to find a name but I doubt they're still around.

Upvote 1
For sure, what's left of the homestead is a foundation and an area where an outhouse was.
I think the homestead is early 1900's as I found a 1915 penny in the area of where the barn once stood.
Good Idea to find a name but I doubt they're still around.
tinner,

Yes the original owner probably isn't still around - but some of their kin might be. Start by looking at old maps & censuses. A few years ago I found an WWII Army Air Corp locket. Sure enough the woman who owned it had passed - but I located one of her sons 3 states away - who was still alive, so I sent it to him. He replied that he gave it to his granddaughter.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back