105.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I believe its some type of early smudgepot lantern. There were round base. Used by the roadway department and fishermen.

Upvote 0
the first and second photo shows some writing on the inside cap.. what does it say?

Upvote 0
I believe its some type of early smudgepot lantern. There were round base. Used by the roadway department and fishermen.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Upvote 0
the first and second photo shows some writing on the inside cap.. what does it say?

Mud hut, just looked at it again with two different magnifying glasses and don't see any letters. Will try in the sunlight tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Mud hut, just looked at it again with two different magnifying glasses and don't see any letters. Will try in the sunlight tomorrow.

Looks like lettering here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 10.25.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 10.25.30 PM.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0
Does the inner piece come out if you move the tang on the right in picture #1

fyrffytr1, good catch! It is on a hinge that I was able to open w/o damaging it. See new photo.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    665.2 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0
Looks like lettering here

Mud Hut, thanks for posting the close-up picture.:occasion14: I held the artifact at a various angles w/ the sun behind me and still couldn't make out any lettering. Will copy your close-up in Powerpoint and see if any more detail emerge.

Upvote 0

DCMatt, thanks for chiming in. I'll add ashtray to my list of things to look up. Man if that's what it is - I was way off.

Upvote 0

DCMatt, many pocket ashtrays I see have a shape similar to a pocket watch (see picture). What I found almost looks like it was once fitted into something so that everything below the rim didn't show. What kind of ashtray would that be?

Attachments

• Pocket ashtray.jpg
    Pocket ashtray.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0
All, what about a traveling or school desk inkwell?

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 33
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 32
Upvote 0
All, thanks for the compliments. Considering I started with "Brass switch with cover?" your inputs made the difference in solving the ID. Many thanks!:occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back