Bowman Zippo - SOLVED

57sauce

Dec 3, 2007
Rochester, MN
I added this Zippo to my collection a few years ago. Zippo's were/are commonly used for advertising, but also for gifts. IE employee of the year or for so many years of service. I need help to find any info on the Bowman company. The only thing I can find is for the trading card company but the logos don't match up. I have dated the lighter it is from 1954 or '55. On the back there is a engraved Signature but cant make it out.

Thanks as always!!
Matt

Attachments

• zippofront.JPG
    zippofront.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,086
  • zippoback.JPG
    zippoback.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 838
Re: Bowman Zippo

perhaps the lighter was given as an archery gift / award...??? Try running search on Norweigian archer Nagine..... ;) Bowman being his rank...maybe?

Attachments

• archer.gif
    archer.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,353
Upvote 0

Attachments

• zippo bowman.jpg
    zippo bowman.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,233
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Bowman Products Division
Associated Spring Corp.
850 E. 72nd Street
Cleveland, OH 44103

Z.P. Nagine?

Upvote 0

There is a Bowman Products company that supplies auto repair shops and dealer service department with nut, bolts, clips etc.

Upvote 0

I had a 40's Zippo brand new in the box and sold it for under $10 at a flea market.
:o :o :o
Well if you have anymore I'll buy them for $15 :'(

Thanks for all your help having problems finding the logo online still.

Upvote 0
Hey All,
My father worked and retired from Bowman Distribution in Cleveland. He was the only Industrial Engineer until his retirement. They then replaced him with 3 people... If I remember they still use the same logo today. I haven't been back home is years. I have lived in California for the last 22 years.... ;D Like I have always said you don't have to shovel rain !!!!!

PLL

Upvote 0
Your Zippo appears to be brass, 57sauce. Are all Zippo's brass underneath the plating?

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Your Zippo appears to be brass, 57sauce. Are all Zippo's brass underneath the plating?

Most are, there are a few that you can get in copper,gold, silver, and titanium. Durring WWII they were not they were made of steal with a heavy duty crackle paint (if you have one its worth a lot). In fact the term for a ware an a Zippo is "brassing"

If you want to get me a Christmas pressent you can get me this:
http://zippocasemuseum.com/index.as...rectoryid=-1&ctrl=productdetails&productid=60
but I'll settle for:
http://zippocasemuseum.com/index.as...ectoryid=-1&ctrl=productdetails&productid=398

Upvote 0
57sauce said:
bigcypresshunter said:

Most are, there are a few that you can get in copper,gold, silver, and titanium. Durring WWII they were not they were made of steal with a heavy duty crackle paint (if you have one its worth a lot). In fact the term for a ware an a Zippo is "brassing"

If you want to get me a Christmas pressent you can get me this:
http://zippocasemuseum.com/index.as...rectoryid=-1&ctrl=productdetails&productid=60
but I'll settle for:
http://zippocasemuseum.com/index.as...ectoryid=-1&ctrl=productdetails&productid=398

I got the SILVER, however not the GOLD.... I collected and sold ZIPPO lighters for many years. Still have a few WWII and later. Collected RONSON also the RONSON war lighter, lighters are like Zippos as far as $$$$ go to a collector.

GaryL

Upvote 0
I know this post is two years old...but I've come across it several times and wanted to contribute. That logo was the original logo for Bowman Distribution (Products) that was founded in 1927 in Cleveland, Ohio. Bowman is under the parent company Barnes Group Inc. out of Connecticut. There are three divisions of BGI; Barnes Aerospace, Barnes Industrial (formerly Associated Spring), and Barnes Distribution (formerly Bowman Distribution). The Bowman name was changed in roughly 2001 after Barnes acquired Curtis Industries and Mechanics Choice; Kar Products was acquired about a year after the name change. I believe the logo was changed in the late late 50's, but I'm not sure. It was changed to a coiled spring inside a triangle, and was kept until the logo changed just a couple years ago to "B". Barnes is over 150 years old and is traded on the NYSE under the symbol "B". Barnes; as was Bowman, is a leading supplier of maintenance, repair, and operating (MRO) supplies to all industries. www.barnesdistribution.com

FYI...I joined Bowman 11 years ago, and am still with the organization today.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back