Newdetector

Greenie
Feb 3, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! I just purchased my first detector, the bounty hunter qsi quick silver. I've done a bit of research and with my budget I felt this was the best I could afford until I truly get into the hobby and am able to save up more. I am wondering if this is submergable in water. Not looking to use is saltwater. I am looking to use this in freshwater. I understand I am unable to get the LCD screen wet, but can I get the coil and the shaft wet? The area I would love to search is knee to waist deep. Is that doable with this detector? Thanks!

Coil and shaft OK. Just don't raise the waterfilled shaft above the control box!

Awesome, thanks so much Rick!! I can't wait to get my profile all set up and hopefully I'll find some interesting things come spring time to post up!!

Since the BH QuickSilver was my first and only MD for a while I'll tell you what I've learned about it, FWIW:

The QS can be a decent coin shooter if you learn what to listen for. I probably read the manual cover to cover several times before and after my first hunts with it, and it's very accurate about what to expect from the machine.

Since the QS doesn't give you much info about what the target is, what you're looking for is consistency in the tone you get. If the tone and indicator jump low/mid/high with several swings over the same target, I'm probably leaving it. I dug a lot of junk before I learned that. If it beeps in the same range four out of 5 swings, I'm digging it. (And I'll still dig trash!). Sometimes reducing the depth setting or raising the coil a bit will reduce the indicator jumping around and let you judge better what's under the coil.

I usually ran with only iron discriminated. This eliminates most bottle caps. If you're running in this mode and you get one of those phantom hits that beeps once or twice out of three swings, try turning off the iron disc. and keep swinging over it. You'll find that the indicator is bouncing between iron and higher tones. I usually walk away from those. Eventually I didn't even turn down the disc. when I got a phantom. I'd confirm it with a couple more swings and move on. Did I miss some good stuff? Probably, so start off digging everything. That's the best way to learn the machine.

The QS will almost never pick up a coin on edge, if your swing is parallel to the coin. You can prove this to yourself by pushing a penny into the soil a bit and swinging over it at different angles. It goes to show that if you want to find more stuff, you need to go back over your search area at 90 degrees to your first paths. Overlapping is also important. Some say you want to overlap each swing 50% over the last one. This can be grueling when you're first starting out but it pays off.

A quick story to show you that there's more in the operator than the machine:
I was detecting the towel line of a Florida beach when I came across a guy with an Ace 250. Clearly brand new to the hobby: no headphones, not filling holes, and throwing trash over his shoulder! He lamented that he'd only found 2 dimes that morning, and his eyes popped when I showed him my pocketful of clad!

gollygeemister, thanks for sharing! You have provided some helpful advice for me! I am looking forward to getting out there and like you said, I will be digging up everything until I can figure out the machine.

I just upgraded from a quiksilver to a land ranger pro after two years, and from my experiences the quik silver will definitely do the job well enough to get you hooked just save all the clad coins you find and clean em up and you will be able to get a new machine in no time I had alot of fun for the 120 I spent on it. Only real help you will need is a pinpointer for my first one I got it at harbor freight for 17 dollars makes you much more efficient. Good luck with your new machine..

Thanks kha924..it's been cold here and the ground is hard. We took it to a barn because we knew there would be nails so we could get a feel for the MD. Lots of false readings that kept moving around the hole..a pinpointer is definitely in our future. Although all we dug was a couple nails and an old pull tab, we had a blast and can't wait for warmer weather to really dig into this hobby..haha...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back