Bought Seated Lib half dollar at garage sale, did I get jipped?

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio

Attachments

• seatlibfront.jpg
    seatlibfront.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 561
  • seatlibrear.jpg
    seatlibrear.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 555
Upvote 0
Wheres this garage sale??LOL... If you love the coin , thats worth $20 in itself. Assuming it hasnt been tampered with its probably worth $40 to $75 depending on how much someone else loves it.

Can't beat it for $20

HH (even at garage sales)!

Lonewolfe

Hi, I am an experienced collector of Seated and Bust coins. ?It grades VF-30 or VF-35 by detail, but with a fairly substantial rim bump at 7:00. ?I also believe it is lightly cleaned. ?Because 1858-O is a very common date of Seated half, the value of the coin is hurt significantly by the rim bump (because a collector can easily find another 1858-O without the bump). ?It would be about a $50 coin without the bump or the cleaning. ?With the bump, I would want to pay $20~$25 for it like you did. ?You did not get ripped off by any means. ?Most "ebay" type coin dealers would probably charge the $50 for it or more, put up some blurry pictures, and not bother to mention the bump.

I don't think you got gypped. I agree with rhedden; it is not EF but is VF. Most likely cleaned.

I like the detail it still has. If you don't have a seated half and wanted one I think $20 for that one was reasonable.

Me thinks I will put it up on eBay, though i don't think he cleaned it he may have, and i will put it up on ebay, i hope i get my moolah back! >:(
but its ok, it should go for somthing, HH CS

Just keep it, it can only go up in value. You got a good coin for $20.00

Attachments

• moneysign.jpg
    moneysign.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 518
  • moneysign.jpg
    moneysign.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 462
Great looking half..... I'd keep it. Or you could send it to me.

LOL I do have a Birthday coming up...... ;D ;D ;D HH BRINK

I don't think you would have any trouble getting 20 dollars for it if you were to sell it.
Very nice looking coin!

I would agree with the $22 post. You did good! You probably can get $75 for it on ebay! But great find and it's only going to go up in value.

hi I'm kinda late on the post but in my July 05' coin price book it list for $28.00 in vg-8. it was a good buy. you didn't get jipped any money on the sale. just thought i could help you out on getting the true price of what the coin is worth...

the coin is worth $52.00 in very fine but i dont know what level your grading it in?

HH lance

it was def. worth the 20.00 bucks - guys hunt for that stuff in the ground for a long time your time is worth that much - GOOD JOB :)

coin saver, If you hadn't already. Maybe you should go back to the person you bought the coin from and ask how they came to have it or got it! Could be he picked it up someplace were you could go with your detector and find more of the same, plus maybe a golden coin.

I checked a wholesale price list and an 1858-O 50? in VF-35 ranges from $53 to $61. Your coin probably grades lower than that but I think you could sell it to a dealer for more than the $20 you paid for it.

The dude who i bought it from graded it in at EF, but i think he just wanted to get rid of it, he said how much i paid for it was what it was going for at coin shops and stuff, but he had it in one of those airtight sets with five more seted libs and 6 new york 1893 exposition and some more of the same,
i might keep it i might sell it but if i sell it on eBay and the guy who buys it gets mad and sees the bump he'd demand a refund or give my seller account a bad rating, so it doesent really matter, HH CS

Trust me, you will not get $50 to $75 on ebay for this Seated half because of the rim bump & cleaning. There are 17 other 1858-O halves for sale on ebay at the current moment- it is a common date. Most dealers would simply pass on it due to the rim bump because they know it will be a tough sell. Seated coins with problems are very hard to sell unless they are rare dates (generally meaning CC mint). Let us know if you try to sell it and how you make out.

One way you can get $50 or more for the coin is to overstate its condition. Like the guy that sold it to you, you can call the coin XF and get a higher price. If your buyer is not knowledgeable about how to grade coins he will think he is getting a good deal because that coin in XF condition sells for $50 or more. However, he will probably be upset when he takes it to his local coin dealer and finds out that it is really in VF condition which makes it worth much less than $50.

Grading coins is subjective and requires knowledge and experience. Educate yourself on how to grade coins and you will be much less likely to overpay for a coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back