hereandthen

Greenie
May 3, 2010
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Minelab GPX 4800, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this threaded brass partial disc at a Civil War camp and skirmish site. I've found friction primers, iron shot, and 6 lb solid shot at the same location albeit in a different area. There are almost no modern objects to be found in this field other than an occasional plow point.

Given the history of the site, together with my being a relative noob when it comes to artillery, I'm stumped and would appreciate any help identifying this object. From reading other posts on Treasurenet and the Internet, I'm leaning towards a tentative ID as a Bormann fuze support plug.

Dimensions are: 0.97" diameter, .29" thickness at its thickets point. The latter is very approximate given distortion of the underside, possibly from explosion?

Thanks for any help!

Jim

2014-06-05 11.43.23.jpg2014-06-05 11.44.34.jpg2014-06-05 11.44.45.jpg2014-06-05 11.45.25.jpg

Jim, I will look in my reference book when I get home today. I found a Schenkl fuse minus the primer back in March in VA. It was in the middle of an area laden with iron, but somehow I picked it out using a GPX 4800.

Best Regards,
Walt

Attachments

• image-3679353656.jpg
    image-3679353656.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 70
  • image-502636954.jpg
    image-502636954.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't imagine the sound that would make on a 4800. Hope your ears have recovered ;)

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
It appears to be a brass CS-made Bormann fuze support-plug. The version you found is a very rare variation, having a "screwdriver-slot" instead of two round spanner-wrench holes for screwing it into the shell's fuzehole. That particular version was made from early-1863 onward.

Sidenote:
Based on examining hundreds of US-made and CS-made Bormann-fuzed shells which have ben sawed in half, the brass underplugs are CS-made, and the iron ones are US-made. But of course, as with any rule, there always seem to be a few exceptions to the rule.

Upvote 0
Cannonballguy,

Thank you very much for your post. I was secretly hoping that you might shed light on my mystery. Armed with the info you've given me, I will now refine my search area in the hopes of finding additional artillery pieces. Thank you again!

Jim

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back