Book: Treasure Signs and Symbols : "International Explorers Club"

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Book: Treasure Signs and Symbols : "International Explorers Club"

I recently purchased a copy of the "International Explorers Club" Treasure Signs and Symbols by "Dr. D.Bo. O'Higgins, Sc. D." [NP: ND]. It is 8 1/2" x 11", bound in blue card stock, 26 pages that appear to have been photocopied from a mimeographed original.

Does anyone know anything about this book?

The Journals of El Dorado by Estee Conatser and Karl von Mueller (Dallas, Texas: 1977) lists Dr. Arnold Kortejarvi's Handbook of Treasure Symbols (St. Petersburg, Florida: 1969). Dr. O'Higgin's (sounds like a pen-name, doesn't it?) work bears a remarkable similarity to what Dr. Kortejarvi put out. The fact that the original appears to have been mimeo'd helps - although the Handbook is listed at 75 pages.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the Grandfather of all treasure sign literature is the four pages of J. Frank Dobie's classic Coronado's Children (1930). About 95% of everything published on this subject since then appears to have been taken (without attribution, of course) from Prof. Dobie's excellent work.

For example, a comparison between Coronado's Children and Thomas P. Terry's A Pocket Guide to Treasure Signs (La Crosse, Wisconsin: 1977) does not reflect very well on Mr. Terry's effort. At the very least, in my opinion he should have credited his primary source.

The little Early Spanish Treasure Signs & Symbols by Wm. [Bill] Mahan (Dallas, Texas: 1963) contains considerably more than just signs - and appears to have been based on original research. It certainly is not just a copy of Dobie's work. Bill Mahan was a successful treasure hunter, of course - famous for his Padre Island finds, among others. He founded the D-Tex metal detector business.

This booklet contains an ad for the long-gone and much missed Foul Anchor Archives. Anyone who did business with Bob Nesmith remembers him fondly. I got my start collecting treasure hunting literature some four decades ago, buying from Bob after finding his name and address in Ladd's bibliography of treasure maps and charts.

If anyone has any more information on the publication with Dr. O'Higgins name on it, I would welcome it!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Re: Book: Treasure Signs and Symbols : "International Explorers Club"

Old Bookaroo said:
I recently purchased a copy of the "International Explorers Club" Treasure Signs and Symbols by "Dr. D.Bo. O'Higgins, Sc. D." [NP: ND]. It is 8 1/2" x 11", bound in blue card stock, 26 pages that appear to have been photocopied from a mimeographed original.

Does anyone know anything about this book?

The Journals of El Dorado by Estee Conatser and Karl von Mueller (Dallas, Texas: 1977) lists Dr. Arnold Kortejarvi's Handbook of Treasure Symbols (St. Petersburg, Florida: 1969). Dr. O'Higgin's (sounds like a pen-name, doesn't it?) work bears a remarkable similarity to what Dr. Kortejarvi put out. The fact that the original appears to have been mimeo'd helps - although the Handbook is listed at 75 pages.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the Grandfather of all treasure sign literature is the four pages of J. Frank Dobie's classic Coronado's Children (1930). About 95% of everything published on this subject since then appears to have been taken (without attribution, of course) from Prof. Dobie's excellent work.

For example, a comparison between Coronado's Children and Thomas P. Terry's A Pocket Guide to Treasure Signs (La Crosse, Wisconsin: 1977) does not reflect very well on Mr. Terry's effort. At the very least, in my opinion he should have credited his primary source.

The little Early Spanish Treasure Signs & Symbols by Wm. [Bill] Mahan (Dallas, Texas: 1963) contains considerably more than just signs - and appears to have been based on original research. It certainly is not just a copy of Dobie's work. Bill Mahan was a successful treasure hunter, of course - famous for his Padre Island finds, among others. He founded the D-Tex metal detector business.

This booklet contains an ad for the long-gone and much missed Foul Anchor Archives. Anyone who did business with Bob Nesmith remembers him fondly. I got my start collecting treasure hunting literature some four decades ago, buying from Bob after finding his name and address in Ladd's bibliography of treasure maps and charts.

If anyone has any more information on the publication with Dr. O'Higgins name on it, I would welcome it!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

If you like the Mahan book, you'll probably want to get Handbook of Treasure Symbols, 1969, Dr. Arnold Kortejarvi.

I agree with Springfield,
much information to acquire from Dr Kortejarvi's book
There are many sources of copies.

It seems to be the one that has the most copied signs and symbols.
all types, you are left to determine which is what.

According to The Journals of El Dorado (Dallas, Texas: 1977) Dr. Kortejarvi's work is "Obviously a compilation of signs from other books. Does not discriminate between Spanish, French, Indian, hobo, and outlaw signs."

Dr. Kortejarvi was active in Florida in the late 1960's and early 1970's. From memory he published a magazine (I believe the title was Search) that lasted two or three issues, a couple of books, and a Florida "treasure map" that was apparently published to foster the plunder of Indian mounds and graves (isn't that how "Dr." L. Frank Hudson came to grief?).

In Karl von Mueller's The Treasure Hunter's Manual, Revised Sixth Edition (Boulder, CO: ND) there is a photo on page 199 of a "Spanish Landmark. This is a typical Spanish pointer." This photo is also in the RAM editions.

I wonder if this pointer didn't help KvonM find that large cache of Spanish silver. Some of this was melted down and cast into arrowheads.

According to The Journals of El Dorado (Dallas, Texas: 1977) Dr. Kortejarvi's work is "Obviously a compilation of signs from other books. Does not discriminate between Spanish, French, Indian, hobo, and outlaw signs."

Dr. Kortejarvi was active in Florida in the late 1960's and early 1970's. From memory he published a magazine (I believe the title was Search) that lasted two or three issues, a couple of books, and a Florida "treasure map" that was apparently published to foster the plunder of Indian mounds and graves (isn't that how "Dr." L. Frank Hudson came to grief?).

In Karl von Mueller's The Treasure Hunter's Manual, Revised Sixth Edition (Boulder, CO: ND) there is a photo on page 199 of a "Spanish Landmark. This is a typical Spanish pointer." This photo is also in the RAM editions.

I wonder if this pointer didn't help KvonM find that large cache of Spanish silver. Some of this was melted down and cast into arrowheads.
Mahan's book was actually copied from an independently published manuscript by a man from Texas who's name eludes me at the moment. I've seen a copy of that book, not sure where the author got his information, but Mahan copied him word for word which is ironic since at least 3 other author copied Mahan's book word for word.

Mahan's book was actually copied from an independently published manuscript by a man from Texas who's name eludes me at the moment. I've seen a copy of that book, not sure where the author got his information, but Mahan copied him word for word which is ironic since at least 3 other author copied Mahan's book word for word.
Makes you wonder who made up all this stuff in the first place.

I wonder how many treasures have actually been found via the interpretation of 'treasure signs and symbols'.
I wonder which signs and symbols in these 'reference' books are neither signs nor symbols of nearby treasure.
I wonder which signs and symbols reflected only that "Kilroy was here".
Don in SoCal

I wonder how many treasures have actually been found via the interpretation of 'treasure signs and symbols'.
I wonder which signs and symbols in these 'reference' books are neither signs nor symbols of nearby treasure.
Don in SoCal
I asked that very question about Charles Kenworthy once...don't believe I got a straight answer.

First problem being anyone finding anything of merit isn't going to broadcast it. So many MAY have been found using signs that we'll never know about.

That said, there are some very well-known connections between symbols and maps/waybills.

The bigger question is, did people like the SPaniards operate from a unified, dictated code of symbols...or is nearly every instance of symbols (assuming they're treasure related) really the whims of the person that hid something and utilized their own symbols for their recovery? Frankly, this seems more probable than a unified or endorsed coding system.

Don in SoCal
I think many of these "treasure signs" are markers for trails and water holes.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Makes you wonder who made up all this stuff in the first place.

If you study the treasure signs in J. Frank Dobie's classic Coronado's Children (1930) you'll find the source for 95% of what's been published since.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:
I asked that very question about Charles Kenworthy once...don't believe I got a straight answer.

First problem being anyone finding anything of merit isn't going to broadcast it. So many MAY have been found using signs that we'll never know about.

That said, there are some very well-known connections between symbols and maps/waybills.

The bigger question is, did people like the SPaniards operate from a unified, dictated code of symbols...or is nearly every instance of symbols (assuming they're treasure related) really the whims of the person that hid something and utilized their own symbols for their recovery? Frankly, this seems more probable than a unified or endorsed coding system.
If there is a unified set of symbols - such as the "King's code", et al - that many seem to accept, IMO it has surfaced in modern times as misinformation, promoted by the likes of Kenworthy, Mahan, Carson and many others. Same goes for all the "treasure maps and waybills". The best way to get people to give you money is to sell them secrets leading to even more.

Randy:

Mr. Kenworthy was kind enough to send me a set of his books, hoping I would purchase them and then re-sell them. I told him I wouldn't carry them because there were no authorities listed as the sources for his information. He told me that couldn't be published...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Randy:

Mr. Kenworthy was kind enough to send me a set of his books, hoping I would purchase them and then re-sell them. I told him I wouldn't carry them because there were no authorities listed as the sources for his information. He told me that couldn't be published...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

I bought several of his books in the 1990s when they were inexpensive. Sold one for a good profit, I must say. I'll sell the rest too, if anyone's interested. $Values are current data from Bookfinder.com, but I'd knock 20% off. ISBN numbers are the old original ones.

Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 6.12.19 AM.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back