Bones...animal or human?

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
Is there any sure way to determine whether bones are animal or human? I was digging a new spot a week ago when I hit these bones at around 12 inches deep...right under these I found two old metal "rivets" from denim jeans. The color of the bones just aren't like I am used to seeing with animal bones and I got a real odd feeling when I unearthed them. I got up, left and haven't looked back until now. Today I decided it was time to download the pics and ask around...I know the pics aren't really a perfect bone to use, such as a femur or skull, but they are the only two I pulled out of the ground. I really wasn't looking for more, I just wanted to get out of there :-\
History on the area is that it is a field...behind old barns and was once a schoolyard in the 1800's...now just overgrown and hidden from any roads/viewing eyes.

Attachments

• Photo0127.jpg
    Photo0127.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,004
  • Photo0128.jpg
    Photo0128.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 979
  • Photo0129_renamed_23637.jpg
    Photo0129_renamed_23637.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 992
It looks like animal bones (cow) because human bones are not that thick. Breezie

Upvote 0
Just going by the size, they could easily be human.

Upvote 0
It might be a Horse/Cow, but looking at the Evidence, It is very possible it could be Human. The Rivits would be hard to explain away as being Animal related!.

Upvote 0
As said above, purely due to the jeans rivets you HAVE to inform the police! They're not going to laugh at you or arrest you.Better to be safe than sorry. Could possibly be a hip ball joint there.

Upvote 0
It does appear to be that the one bone fragment is off of the longer one, if so it could be human hip.

With jeans rivets it also should be modern.

Have it checked out.

Upvote 0
Call the Law, better to be safe than sorry. With the rivets being found beneath those, you just never know..CALL the LAW

Upvote 0
Gunrunner61 said:
Call the Law, better to be safe than sorry. With the rivets being found beneath those, you just never know..CALL the LAW

ditto. at the very least it will free you up to go back and hunt the spot.

Upvote 0
I am no expert, but I would contact the authorities as well. The jean rivets and likeness to human bones would wierd me out. It's the right thing to do.

Upvote 0
Levi jeans with rivets have been around since some time in the 1800's.........NGE

Upvote 0
Been there, done that. Cleaned up an ancient cemetery a few years back and found bones of all sizes on the surface in a small area. I called the locals. They came, took them out, and ran them through their professionals. They were probably all deer, but in a graveyard that had been "leveled" by a bulldozer, I took no chances. Your bones could be human or animal, you don't know. Could be someone's loved one who has been missing for decades. Could be an old family burial ground. Just don't know. Hope you're not hesitating...

Upvote 0
I emailed these photos to my sister, who has been an Orthopedic Surgical R.N. for 30 years; she has definitely seen her share of human bones. Here is a copy/paste of her email: They are not human bones because: 1) the shape is wrong; a human femur is more consistently thin and has an anterior bend. 2) The intramedullary canal is too thick. 3) The socket joint is not deep enough to be an articulating surface for a human.

BUT, if it will make you feel better, contact the authorities.

If you put the bones where you want to plant your Spring garden, and let them know there might be more buried, they should have your garden area dug-up and ready for you to plant. :thumbsup: ;D Breezie

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
I emailed these photos to my sister, who has been an Orthopedic Surgical R.N. for 30 years; she has definitely seen her share of human bones. Here is a copy/paste of her email: They are not human bones because: 1) the shape is wrong; a human femur is more consistently thin and has an anterior bend. 2) The intramedullary canal is too thick. 3) The socket joint is not deep enough to be an articulating surface for a human.

BUT, if it will make you feel better, contact the authorities.

If you put the bones where you want to plant your Spring garden, and let them know there might be more buried, they should have your garden area dug-up and ready for you to plant. :thumbsup: ;D Breezie

Now, THAT'S funny. :laughing9:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info Breezie, just got a similar response today from an "archie", so.......next weekend we are exhuming just to find out what it is, now that we have reason to believe it isn't human!!

nice idea for the garden...might just do that :D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back