Black Sand

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dredged yesterday on private land near the GPAA claim in Buchanan, Ga. Found a white quartz seam surrounded by blue clay material and hardpack gravels. I started clean up today and have a lot of black sand per pan. Small gold as usual for this creek. Left about noon after I dipped too low in the creek and filled up my waders!! Stopped at a store nearby for hot coffee and a local invited me to try his family land about 10 miles away. I was cold and tired but not about to pass a chance on a new site. The creek is about 6 feet wide and flows enough for my 3" dredge. It is full of quartz rocks and gravel sitting on top of vertical bedrock ledges. I ran 30 minutes and quit . The cons are all white quartz and white sand with wire gold !! When I pan the cons, the last heavies are white sand and whatever gold is in that batch. I even had some bird shot in with the white sand. Is this unusual? I have always had black sand when I find gold. My dredge was set up at the same slope as the first creek and the riffles were packed with the quartz and sand. Any body had this happen? Any suggestions?

some creeks around the villa rica area have that same kind of mix-heavy white sand hardly any black sand-and sometimes a little blonde sand,and usually some garnets.great luck finding that one.pan it slow it will usually have a lot of fines.use jet dry when finish panning will help with the fines.you have had good luck getting private access.keep it up :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Thanks Strickman,
I guess it like the old saying" Gold is where you find it"!! This creek is almost in Alabama! The creeks at the Alabama Gold Camp 30 or so miles away have garnets and black sand , but the sand is attracted to a magnet!!

Are you asking if is abnormal to find birdshot????If so if I am not I am worried!!!

It all depends how much hunting was done around the creek. Bird shot is found where hunting is allow.......Matt

I've found anything from bird shot to cannon balls before. It all depends on the area but typically if near a hunting club or something you'll definitely find bird shot. :icon_thumright: GL and happy hunting! GF

Gold is where you find it. Its not always associated with black sand. Any more wire gold?

Hey there kilnmaint, Hang in there on that site. I have been close around there also.My dad is from Ohatchee over on the Coosa. The gravel pit there, is, was on family land. but got condemed for lake bottom, but it had streak of that blue clay with gold values right on top of it. Then they found out that it was volcanic ash degraged with silver values contained. But as a kid visiting family we went over to a creek that emptys in to the Talla-p. I bet the holes are still in the creek loaded with brim.
Anyway good luck! :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back