Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2024
5994AFA3-9D8F-46F4-A008-98CC74CD94AB.jpeg

Attachments

• 933C0774-0B95-46D1-A04D-EE8CE144B7A8.jpeg
    933C0774-0B95-46D1-A04D-EE8CE144B7A8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
Upvote 15
My initial thought was that the width to length ratio was unusual. I too immediately thought that the bird points were the result of being reworked many times after being used.
One possibly being repurposed as a hafted perforator.

I believe that is what was meant by saying “exhausted points”.

Great finds. Is that material difficult to obtain in your area? Were the tribes “poor”? Those are a couple things that I would think would cause someone to rework points multiple times rather than just discarding.

points were reworked all the time, sharpened or repaired. Quick to do and don't necessarily have to be taken off the shaft. Small points like these are most often associated with the "historic" era. These are the youngest points, true arrowheads. I have a couple hundred of these tiny things.

points were reworked all the time, sharpened or repaired. Quick to do and don't necessarily have to be taken off the shaft. Small points like these are most often associated with the "historic" era. These are the youngest points, true arrowheads. I have a couple hundred of these tiny things.
That’s good to know. Do you suppose a really flat worked point may have been purposefully worked to the “point” of looking like a drill/perforator just to get one last shot out of it? Rather than being a hafted tool? Kind of makes sense to me when the length to width ratio gets absurd for an arrow head.

you bet, the best way to look at it is...."what would YOU do"... NA folk were the same as you and I when it comes to practicality. A lot of folk just don't realize that you can drop anyone in to the same time period and with the same "technologies" and you will come up with very similar solutions. People are people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back