BIG Silver..OLD silver

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a site today that a buddy and I found over the weekend. Finds seem to be very scattered at this site with no real concentration and a LOT of early Enfield bullets. Must have been some military training going on there in the 1860's. I walked onto the field and fired up my machine. Dug two mini balls within minutes, and after about 5 minutes on the field I got a SOLID hit. I don't normally use the screen on my explorer but I glanced down and it was coming in at 0-29. I remember thinking "this is either big silver or another damn beer can". I cut out a large plug about 8" deep. When I flipped it over the target was inside the plug. I started peeling back the dirt and my probe kept telling me it was deeper (i.e....closer to the top/grass of the plug. I got into the grass roots and was starting to get a little disappointed as I realized it in fact would have been only a couple inches deep. I swiped into the dirt of the plug and saw very bright metal. It was extremely sunny today and difficult to see anything without glare. I thought it was the bottom of a beer can and carelessly stuck my finger under the target and sort of scraped it out of the dirt. BIG MISTAKE! Suddenly I'm staring at a very large silver coin. I was really hoping I had an 8 Reale but was still very happy to see it was in fact an 1872 Vicky 50 Cent piece! I've never found a vicky 50 cent piece. I guess because I typically hunt earlier sites...that and they really aren't that many to be found anymore. She has a few scrapes but she's still a beauty!

Interestingly it has a double punched S in the word "CENTS" and a double punched A(the last one) in Canada. This variety doesn't seem to be recognized as its not in my book. A little searching on the internet and it appears there have been a few with the repunched S found.

The rest of the day I dug nothing but bullets. About a dozen of them.

The 1781 Spanish I dug at the site on the weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 201
  • image_4.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 210
  • image_3.jpeg
    image_3.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 199
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 22
Very nice silvers! The Spanish is excellent, and I really love the big Vicky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back