big silver first

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been coming here for 25 years, I don't post my finds that much, and I post here and there but I read the threads 3 to 4 times a week, well after 25 years of detecting I finally dug a silver dollar, over the years I have dug just about everything, now my next big find is the GW button

Attachments

• sdollar2.jpg
    sdollar2.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 41
This is a once in a LIFETIME find !! 30 + years hunting to include almost everything from Roman to Modern and I have never found a silver dollar, I voted BANNER, simply because of its rarity and I congratulate you on a fantastic find of a lifetime !!

I said this in another forum, but will say it here.. I believe its rare for two reasons... ONE .. Probably most people did not carry such big coins around with them on a daily basis, and TWO... If someone were to drop or lose a coin that size, then anyone around or nearby almost certainly could see such a large coin before it gets buried... That's my take and I'm sticking too it..
Torrero good thoughts there, I have recently begun trail hunting and my theory is when horses had to ride single file on treacherous parts of trails even if they dropped something and noticed it there is no stopping to get it would be impossible in a train of say thirty soldiers riding this way so maybe chances of finding buckles/large silver increases..will find out :)

Congrats on getting that monkey off your back.
Still looking for my first one-been wanting to find one now for over 50 years.
It was the first want I ever had-still gathering dust on the back.
you may just have to settle for a pile of gold coins mate...;) nah you'll get one

Torrero good thoughts there, I have recently begun trail hunting and my theory is when horses had to ride single file on treacherous parts of trails even if they dropped something and noticed it there is no stopping to get it would be impossible in a train of say thirty soldiers riding this way so maybe chances of finding buckles/large silver increases..will find out :)
Very good idea, I never would have thought about it... I would also have thought that dropping something while moving would not have been very possible because everything is tied to your horse or your ass ... But since we can't see into the past we can't know what happened or how stuff was lost.

digging a silver dollar has been high on my wish list my entire life. Looks like it'll probably never happen. Glad you found yours. Congrats!

Very good idea, I never would have thought about it... I would also have thought that dropping something while moving would not have been very possible because everything is tied to your horse or your ass ... But since we can't see into the past we can't know what happened or how stuff was lost.
thank you and good point...was thinking the jouncing of the ride may have knocked things loose which were previously secured or inside a pouch, saddlebag, or on someone's person (such as a loose buckle or something in a shirt pocket)... but not witnessing it firsthand it is just a guess of course. Happy hunting!

been coming here for 25 years, I don't post my finds that much, and I post here and there but I read the threads 3 to 4 times a week, well after 25 years of detecting I finally dug a silver dollar, over the years I have dug just about everything, now my next big find is the GW button
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!! Bucket Lister!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back