Metal Defector

Dec 5, 2020
West Chester Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0812DFA5-15D9-4305-B603-10CE48CDE4EA.jpeg

I know this is trash but wondering if anyone could venture a guess as to what this was used for and how old?

Upvote 3
I’d guess a butchering/skinning chain set. We used to have a ring with 2 chains coming off of it and a hook on each end chain. You could hang small game by the legs to remove the guts and skin. I also used one form taxidermy for years.

I’d guess a butchering/skinning chain set. We used to have a ring with 2 chains coming off of it and a hook on each end chain. You could hang small game by the legs to remove the guts and skin. I also used one form taxidermy for years.
Here is a picture of a 3-chain gambrel for taxidermy.

Attachments

• 0D6E6B7A-2BA7-4DDC-86ED-5A574D32BAE4.png
    0D6E6B7A-2BA7-4DDC-86ED-5A574D32BAE4.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 15
It would help if we knew the location where you found it. Woods, farm, field, RR, urban, rural. Your chain looks like light weight log chains I find in the woods, minus the hooks or loops.

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring.
From having done a few dismantling/scraping out of milking barns, these might be the chain(s) in question.
Missing are the 2 ends, and the picture of the rusty chain shows a broken link.
Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 9.32.26 AM.png

It would help if we knew the location where you found it. Woods, farm, field, RR, urban, rural. Your chain looks like light weight log chains I find in the woods, minus the hooks or loops.
It was in a small tract of land here in west Chester Ohio. I believe it was farmed at one time...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back