Big old silver, wheats, and an El Camino today!

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a couple hours this evening to a new spot and I think I found a winner. Lots of assorted targets to choose from as I soon found out. Found lots of trash, 14 cents in clad, 2 wheats (46 and 54), a 5 gram balance scale weight, an older die cast el camino, and a 1898 S Barber half. I'm glad I don't have a heart condition because when I flipped the dirt plug over and saw the barber I think my heart fluttered and stopped briefly, I just sat there and stared at it in disbelief for what seemed like a few minutes. This is only my second silver U.S. coin (found foreign silver overseas), I found my first earlier this week, a 1948 roosevelt. Been a decent week overall as I also found a small sterling kiddie ring full of junk stones. Hope everyone had a good weekend and I look forward to seeing more great posts on here.

Matt

P.S. Also found this little guy in the backyard this morning, looks like a hognose to me.

Attachments

• sept11-2011 007.JPG
    sept11-2011 007.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 952
  • sept11-2011 008.JPG
    sept11-2011 008.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 952
  • sept11-2011 013.JPG
    sept11-2011 013.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 953
  • sept11-2011 011.JPG
    sept11-2011 011.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 952
  • sept11-2011 012.JPG
    sept11-2011 012.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 937
  • sept09-2011 001.JPG
    sept09-2011 001.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 939
  • sept09-2011 002.JPG
    sept09-2011 002.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 942
  • sept11-2011 005.JPG
    sept11-2011 005.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 941
Upvote 0
Matt, Nice hunt :thumbsup: (except for the snake LOL) Congrats on the silver; it's always a heart thumper to see silver in the dirt. Breezie

Were there any Hippies in that el camino :laughing7:

Did you find a bong in the whole with it :tongue3:

Nice finds man :hello2:

The silver will be flowing now :thumbsup:

Blaze

definitely jealous about the barber half! Awesome finds!!!

Thanks everyone. Going back tomorrow after work and see what else is there.

I was born and raised in Florida as well and never saw one there. It's a juvenile hognose snake I believe.....he's flattened out in the picture. Apparently when they're frightened they do that and hiss loudly. When he's not flattened out he has the rounded head and round eyes and the body is not near as big. I didn't take any chances with him, used a long set of tongs to pick him up.

Matt

I gotta disagree with you on that snake. Notice the angular arrow shaped head, and it's eyes are pointed as well. That "little" snake looks like it might be a pigmy rattler which I am familiar with as I grew up in Florida as well. It's just a smaller version of your common rattlesnake minus the rattles, and just as poisonous. Be careful out there.

His head was normally oval shaped, it only looks like that when he flattens out to look bigger and meaner. I did a little research earlier and learned that as well as the fact that they play possum sometimes (which he did) by rolling onto their backs with mouth open. I do agree though that he looks like a pygmy, seen plenty of those. Thanks for the advice.

Matt

http://www.lihs.org/files/caresheets/Heterodon.htm

Nice half. That's a ford ranchero

Hognose....Ive seen quite a few in central Florida....I always think they are rattlers until I get a close look.

relic lover said:
Nice half. That's a ford ranchero

It's got a bowtie on the front, I also thought ranchero when I first saw it. :)

Matt

Shootin for silver, found a snake...so I guess if you go out looking for snakes you'll find...

nice little hognose. I ran into one years ago that hissed and whipped his tail around like a rattler. I thought my buddy was about to have a heart attack right there and then (he's deathly afraid of snakes for some reason) so naturally we had to chase him around the woods with it ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back