Big bullet on Florida beach

James57

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Detectorpro Headhunter PI
I found this today on a beach at Indian Shores near Largo, FL. Sorry for the poor photo quality, I left my camera at home so I just have my camera phone on this trip. I placed it on the inch scale on my digger and it is just over 2" long. It was about 9 inches down next to a 2 foot drop where the ocean waves are eroding the sand. I also found some brass square nails along the undercut too. I think that they are roofing nails though brass square nails seem a bit unusual.

I know that bullets are everywhere but this one seems a bit big for shooting in a populated area like this. Any ideas as to what type of bullet it is?

BTW, I saw the tip about the digging tool on Treasurenet and I picked this one up yesterday at the Largo Home Depot. It cuts through the hard-packed sand and shells easily!

Attachments

• Image008.jpg
    Image008.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 514
That .50 caliber Browning was probably fired from an airplane during WW2.Beaches were commonly used for strafing practice since it was easy to see where the bullets impacted.

Almost every airport existing in Florida in 1950 was built during the war as a training base. The population was very sparse at that time.

When I lived in Florida ,I found .50 BMG bullets and shell casings often and in almost every part of the county.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
The darn shame is those babies sound so much like a coin! The P47's fired those in WW2 in our area, training base not too far away with big target range, both bullet and shell casings found regularly........

Upvote 0
Here's some from around Pensacola:
bulletsga5.jpg

And yes the do sound good!! ;)

D.

Upvote 0
Holy crap! Can you imagine taking a hit from one of those?!?! Must hurt like hell. Anyone ever survive taking a hit with one?

Upvote 0
Yeah, people have survived getting hit by an old boattail like the. But it's against the Genevia Conventions to shoot people with a .50 cal. It should only to be used on armor, vehicles, and troops in formation. So much for that in this war.

HH

Upvote 0
Ant said:
It should only to be used on armor, vehicles, and troops in formation. So much for that in this war

HH

Two people are troops in formation... which is good if your behind the gun, bad if your in front. :-\

Nice digs James57

Upvote 0
Ant said:
Yeah, people have survived getting hit by an old boattail like the. But it's against the Genevia Conventions to shoot people with a .50 cal. It should only to be used on armor, vehicles, and troops in formation. So much for that in this war.
HH

And those sissys use civies as human shields, show videos of their beheadings, and use mustard gas against their own people, which are all against the convention, but nobody ever mentions that! They only mention when our boys bend the convention rules. I say ef em up with those things.

Also, I don't know much about the subject so I could be wrong, so please correct me...but aren't our sniper rifles .50 cal? I know they are big and can be lethal up to something like a mile...

Upvote 0
Skrimpy said:
Ant said:
HH

And those sissys use civies as human shields, show videos of their beheadings, and use mustard gas against their own people, which are all against the convention, but nobody ever mentions that! They only mention when our boys bend the convention rules. I say ef em up with those things.

Also, I don't know much about the subject so I could be wrong, so please correct me...but aren't our sniper rifles .50 cal? I know they are big and can be lethal up to something like a mile...

The same rules apply as when I was an Infantry Solder. We stand above the lowlifes and follow the Rules of War. Someone has to, or we would all be gone. We set the example for the World to follow. I don't think the single shot .50 cal rifle falls under that rule as long as it's shooting NATO ball ammunition.

HH

Upvote 0
There were 4 Geneva Conventions dealing with war ,none of which outlawed any type or caliber of firearms used on enemy forces.The Geneva Conventions addressed the treatment of civilians and prisoners of war.

A HAGUE CONVENTION outlawed the use of hollow pointed bullets and bullets that expanded or flattened easily in the human body.

Many people confuse the conventions of the two cities.

hasbeen

Upvote 0
hasbeen said:
There were 4 Geneva Conventions dealing with war ,none of which outlawed any type or caliber of firearms used on enemy forces.The Geneva Conventions addressed the treatment of civilians and prisoners of war.
A HAGUE CONVENTION outlawed the use of hollow pointed bullets and bullets that expanded or flattened easily in the human body.
Many people confuse the conventions of the two cities.
hasbeen

It just sux that everyone else is allowed to fight with the attitude that "all's fair" except our troops. If this had been 60 years ago we would have carpet and fire bombed cities, leveled insurgent outposts, or just rolled em over not caring who was in the way...dang, getting off the subject of treasure lets get back to it...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back