Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First hunt since before the holiday. I've been starting to do well again at the pomander site. Probably a combination of the wet soil, new coil, and just learning how to use my at pro better. I just went real slow and started to pick up some buckle pieces, round ball and some flat buttons including my biggest one yet from the site. The SLQ was a terrible signal mixed in with iron but I dig everything here. I got the KG II next at every bit of 10" if not more. I finished the night off with my favorite find. I'm guessing its a colonial wax seal. Any info on that one appreciated. Looks like the initials are GW. LOL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 13
Are the Initials really GW? I can't tell from the pic? This rings of Scrappy and his GW buttons, haaaaa lol

I can't tell. Not even sure if it is colonial

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 156
Drip some candle wax on a piece of paper and make an impression. looks colonial to me

A fob seal in any condition is a terrific find!
Nice one
So would this date to the colonial period? These were used throughout the 19th century as well

So would this date to the colonial period? These were used throughout the 19th century as well

My best guess would be that these were at their peak of popularity in the first half of the 1800s, so I would definitely say yours falls into the colonial category

This would have hung from a pocket watch or possibly a chatelaine like the pomander I found here

Maybe if you change your name to uncirculated you might pull some better looking coins. That KG sure is "Toasted". Congrats on pulling 4 great keepers.

Maybe if you change your name to uncirculated you might pull some better looking coins. That KG sure is "Toasted". Congrats on pulling 4 great keepers.

I'm sure I could clean it up some more and maybe get a date but it's just a KG and I kinda like the dug look on large coppers.

Nice finds, I like the old coppers.

Nice finds, I like the old coppers.

Thanks I think this one makes ten for this site. 4 KG's, 4 LC's, 1 Canadian LC and a an 1803 Half cent. This fob seal is the second best relic I've found here though

Nice finds. Its been awhile since we've seen a SLQ posted.

The finds seem to come in clusters. Another member just got their first SLQ. Earlier it was the Barber half and this summer their were a bunch of gold coins

toasted,

Nice selection of finds but the wax seal is the find of the hunt.

Regards + HH

Bill

Nice going on the coppers and silver-the fob seal-jealous! Congrats on the finds.

The fob seal is awesome. Still on my high on my list of items yet to find. It would be hard to say for sure if what it dates to but technically the colonial period ended with the American Revolution and the declaration of independence. A lot of people like to call anything 200 years old colonial which really isn't correct.

The fob seal is awesome. Still on my high on my list of items yet to find. It would be hard to say for sure if what it dates to but technically the colonial period ended with the American Revolution and the declaration of independence. A lot of people like to call anything 200 years old colonial which really isn't correct.

Yeah I see that a lot here probably because anything in use prior to the civil war was probably in use by the late colonial period. The industrial revolution which really got going in the US after the civil war is what really changed everything

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back