fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the creek last Saturday with a buddy and had the best day ever for me. I found 3 complete snapped base Kirk points, a prehistoric camel tooth and a token still in the plastic sleeve.
Then, that evening I had my worst day ever! I was taking the points back to my truck after showing them to my wife when I got home to get a group picture when I simply lost my grip on them and all 3 hit the concrete! I have had a problem holding stuff in my right hand for a while. Getting old has it's problems. One snapped in 2 pieces, the long one had both ears broke off and the third one suffered a flea bite to one edge. I also dropped the camel tooth but it survived intact!
Not shown is the small shark tooth I lost somewhere between the creek and my truck! I know that people have found more and nicer stuff, but not me!
20240622_194632.jpg
20240622_194652.jpg
20240622_194842.jpg
20240622_195054.jpg
20240622_221548.jpg
20240624_201602.jpg

Upvote 23
That does suck to have happen.
I know how it feels to having dropped a few things over the years.
Still a really good day of recoveries.
Congrats

Bummer. I gave this perfect beautiful thinly worked made from a purple looking translucent chalcedony arrowhead I found to a buddy. I saw once riding in his truck to work that he'd hung it on his rear view mirror with a leather strip.The next time I road up with him the tip was busted off. I asked what happened. He said huh, he hadn't noticed that it was damaged. I realized it was swinging around and must've hit the windshield. I told him that stinks that I left you something that remained perfectly fine for a thousand years or more and you go and f it up. I realize I need to put more thought and caution in to what I'm doing the older I get.

Last edited:
Several years ago I had found a very large and unusual banded obsidian spear head. My brother came for a visit and was checking it out. I told him to hold it up to the light to see the banding and...
he dropped it on the tile floor and turned on of my very finest pieces into about 50 pieces.
Yep, I feel your pain.
Nice finds anyways, congrats!

Those are just broken arrowheads. There’s no such thing as a snapped base Kirk. It’s a myth started by unscrupulous people trying to sell broken arrowheads. The proponents of “snapped base Kirk” can never answer these two questions. What reason did an Indian have for breaking a perfectly good point? And second, how was a blade with no base hafted?

Those are just broken arrowheads. There’s no such thing as a snapped base Kirk. It’s a myth started by unscrupulous people trying to sell broken arrowheads. The proponents of “snapped base Kirk” can never answer these two questions. What reason did an Indian have for breaking a perfectly good point? And second, how was a blade with no base hafted?
You are much more knowledgeable on the subject than I am, but if they are broke why are the bases worked? What type would you say it is? South Georgia creek finds.
20240622_221548.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. While they might not be valuable or rare, I sent them to Dr. Gomer Pyles for restoration.

I went to the creek last Saturday with a buddy and had the best day ever for me. I found 3 complete snapped base Kirk points, a prehistoric camel tooth and a token still in the plastic sleeve.
Then, that evening I had my worst day ever! I was taking the points back to my truck after showing them to my wife when I got home to get a group picture when I simply lost my grip on them and all 3 hit the concrete! I have had a problem holding stuff in my right hand for a while. Getting old has it's problems. One snapped in 2 pieces, the long one had both ears broke off and the third one suffered a flea bite to one edge. I also dropped the camel tooth but it survived intact!
Not shown is the small shark tooth I lost somewhere between the creek and my truck! I know that people have found more and nicer stuff, but not me! View attachment 2155968View attachment 2155969View attachment 2155970View attachment 2155971View attachment 2155972View attachment 2155973
We can all learn from your mistake! Sorry for your loss.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back