Belt plate and buckel from single site, ID and date ?

Stoneman227

Greenie
Sep 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were both found around a cellar hole in central Virginia and other than harmonica reeds I have little else so far to date the site.
The silver washed buckle measures just over 2 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches and The clipped corner plate measures just over 2 5/8 x 1 5/8 inches.
An era and the use of these items would be cool !
buc a.jpg
buc b.jpg

Your clipped-corners plate might be a Militia plate, or because of its smaller-than-usual size perhaps more likely a Military School plate. Look through the book "American Military Belt Plates" by Michael J. O'Donnell. I'd do that for you but my headache tonight is getting worse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction !
Just need to lay hands on a copy of the book now.
I had not factored in the size of the plate and how that may make it unusual.

Upvote 0
Took some aspirin tonight, so I was able to check the "American Military Belt Plates" book for you. No match found for your clip-cornered plate, which is unusually small (approximately 38mm x 56mm). The nearest match in size and shape is a "School buckle" on page 523, but it is a lot longer, being 78mm. Also, it is solid-cast brass, whereas yours appears to be thick rolled sheetbrass.

The small size of your plate, and the "tall" tongue-hook on it, combined with a heavy bar, suggests late-1800s to early-1900s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bless you for taking the time to check !
You are correct that it is sheetbrass and the date range you give does seem to fit the progression of home sites I have found in this area.
Many many thanks !

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back