Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hunting 2012 001.JPG

Found this with a Louisiana Pelican button.

hunting 2012 002.JPG

As you can see it looks like a snake.

I have not seen this in any books.
If you can help just post up.
Thanks

I have seen these in the past ID'd as sword hangers.

Upvote 0
I have seen these in the past ID'd as sword hangers.

That's what I think as well but would like to know what belt that it was on.
The snake is what's got me, I think may be French just by it being with the button just a thout.
It's a nice find and to pick it and the button up make it sweet.

Upvote 0
Can someone help me just a little more.
This is the one that I would like to know more about.

Upvote 0
Not much on Civil War era stuff myself,(like the older colonial).But would agree sword hanger in the serpent style.Seen plenty of the belt hooks in the serpent style but first sword hanger I recall.But being you found it with the Louisiana button & the only other one I could find or see being talked about was found in louisiana also.I think that would be a good start for your search.The thread I'll post says that someone (GeoDiggerMike) found one at a site in LA. that was known to be a Texas camp so that might be another place to search.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Neat find Gaut, looks like a Snake design on that sword hanger! (n/t)

Upvote 0
Cool thank's timerkiller, I know it's a sword hanger, and now I will try to find where it came from.
And I like the Texas camp part I have been looking for one here them guys where hard to find.
The spot that it was found was in Tenn. and there was a Louisiana camp over the hill.
I think that they where overlooking the Rail road thats where they was on top of a hill.

If someone has more to help post up.

Thanks for the help now off I go.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back