Beginner Questions

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey All, Wickaboag here, :hello:
I lurk around here a bit, :lurk: but spend most of my time in the coin roll hunting section,
Going to my FIRST ESTATE SALE tomorrow, any tips on what I should buy?
I know a lot about coins, and paper money, and hoping there is a ton of them! but not anything else that is hot right now, any tips would be appreciated!
Wickaboag

gold jewelry etc. should be checked out too. You can probably get some good ideas by just reading posts in this "Garage Sales Finds" section

gold jewelry etc. should be checked out too. You can probably get some good ideas by just reading posts in this "Garage Sales Finds" section

Everyone seems to have their own "specialties" that they continually look for, noone seems to have a broad range. I want things I (like) to collect, or I can (knowingly) turn around for profit. Like if I found cheap gold jewelry I'd take it.
I'm gunna stick to what I know for the first time there, maybe next time I'll branch out!
Thanks again,
Wickaboag :)

I think there are many of us on here that have a broad range of items we search for and/or buy. It's finding them thats the problem. Yes, many of us have a certain area we are most knowledgeable in, but the range of items that many of us look for is broad and varied. I've bought and sold everything from antique pottery/glass (my favorites) to perfumes, printer inks and weight loss food additives and everything in between. To say no one has a broad range wouldn't be true. I continually look for anything that catches my eye. Sometimes, I don't even know what something is worth until I get it home and research it. I buy it because I like it or it's something I haven't seen before ( i.e.-unusual/unique) and the price is right.

I think there are many of us on here that have a broad range of items we search for and/or buy. It's finding them thats the problem. Yes, many of us have a certain area we are most knowledgeable in, but the range of items that many of us look for is broad and varied. I've bought and sold everything from antique pottery/glass (my favorites) to perfumes, printer inks and weight loss food additives and everything in between. To say no one has a broad range wouldn't be true. I continually look for anything that catches my eye. Sometimes, I don't even know what something is worth until I get it home and research it. I buy it because I like it or it's something I haven't seen before ( i.e.-unusual/unique) and the price is right.

Sorry about me saying that diggum, I just don't see (often) people posting about (tips) that have a wide range,
Thanks for the advice!
Wickaboag

Hey Wicka! Glad to see you branching out! I love goin to garage sales! I've never been to an estate sale though! Hope you find all the coins you could ever dream of!

No apology necessary. One piece of advice when it comes to estate sales, if it's being held by an "estate sale company" you will be paying too much for 99% of anything they have there. If it's being held by a family member, then you may have a good shot at getting some good deals. Garage sales are usually pretty good price wise but the finds are usually spread out over many sales. Sometimes you'll find a real good one where they have a bunch of good stuff at reasonable prices. Usually the more you buy the cheaper the overall price will be too. Don't forget to haggle and negotiate, it's part of the process. lol

Here's a few of the things i've posted that I found in the last couple months-

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/306813-some-recent-finds-sales-so-fl.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/301879-sundays-score-4-little-pieces.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/310532-weeks-treasures-60s-were-good-me.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/300778-found-some-wwii-nazi-items.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/296187-nice-piece-glass-found-thrift-store.html

I'm about due to post some more finds, haven't done it in a while. Maybe tommorrow after the sales.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'll buy anything I can at least double my money on. Best tip I can give you is to carry a smart phone to research items you aren't sure about.

Check out any hardcover books they might have.some first editions go for big bucks.A first edition Hunt for Red October goes for in excess off 800 bucks.So does the first edition Harry Potter book.I'm like diggumup, i have a wide range of interests.Mostly from early american to ww2.look for early video game units also,coleco vision etc,big bucks.any military items.It takes me about a minute to look at a full table,then move on.start reading some books on antiques and collectibles,just stay away from junk advertised as collectible because it isnt.

When I go to estate sales, I try to get their at least 45 min earlier to get closer to the front of the line. Also some estate sales will only allow a certain amount of people at one time. Don`t forget to take a magnet and a loupe which are great tools to have. If you can pickup a box before the sale starts that will help you also, so that you can start putting thing into it. "I say this " because I have second guess myself in the past, and put a item back down, just to have someone snatch it up, and find out I lost out on a great deal:BangHead:. It is also good to go with a friend, so that you can spilt up and cover more area.. I also recommend studying this book "Antique traders", for it has helped me identifying pottery and glass items. Good luck & happy addiction!

Didn't find any coin or jewelry. Some old paintings sparked interest but not sure if they are worth anything.

The best general advice anyone can give is to educate yourself about quality. Learn to spot it. Memorise some quality brand names. However, a caveat, avoid Rolex watches. I collect vintage watches, but in 15 years of garage sales, I've only seen one genuine Rolex and the owner knew what he had. I've seen hundreds of fake ones and bought a few until I wised up.

I probably average 5 to 6 hours at sales each week, but spend about 10 hours on research.

well said capt-zero

Wicka good to see you here! This is my favorite forum by far, in terms of sheer information this is unbeatable

Diversity is key. You may go to 50 garage sales (not sure if this is a reasonable statistic but for example) until you find a silver fork, but at each one of those garage sales you could've passed up big money makers that were outside your knowledge range. Education like capt-zero said is key, but also like digummup said, it's all about the eye. For example at goodwill the other day I say a camera lens filter on sale for 57c. seemed like something that would sell, and I got 10 bucks for it on the bay. I know little to nothing about photography, it just screamed "good deal"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back