Been away.....back with CW Bullets, Buttons and Bayonet!! (PICS ADDED)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats up all my friends! ;) I have been away for a few weeks due to my position at work. I wanted to post this hunt sooner but have not had the time until now. Last weekend, I decided to hit some of those 'areas' in my hunting spots that were in the back of my mind and I knew that I needed to hit. I had scanned through these areas but wanted to go back and thoroughly scan them. I took a buddy with me as well. The first hour was slow as I was hunting 'grounds' that I had already hunted and we only came up with a couple pieces of melted lead. I finally told my bud that we needed to scoot on to the spot that I had intended for us to hit. This spot was a small Confederate campsite and I had as said above, briefly scanned the far side of it but on this day I wanted to concentrate on the other side and top plateau of this site. As soon as we got there, I got a +55 hit on the MXT and pulled out a 3 ringer then a +76 and out came a musketball. I got those back to back within 5 minutes and was digging another signal when my buddy yells "Hey Hey Hey Hey Josh Josh JOSH JOSH" which at first had me like "WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG" but when I saw that he was down on the ground staring into a hole I knew that he had something good!!! I rushed over to see a rare beauty come out of the ground: a BAYONET!!! :o :o :o My bud was ecstatic as was I. It was really awesome to see such a rare Civil War relic come out of the ground and I was happy that my friend was the one who dug it. The look on his face was PRICELESS ;D :D ;D ;D :o ... There were alot of signals in the area and out came a rifled musket band. Then came a pot hanger, an era fork, a couple hand forged spikes/nails, and a couple of chunks of cannonball which is not rare for this area of Virginia and some whatsits. Then, as the day progressed, I scouted 2 other places but they were not that great so I went back to my original spot but this time to a different section. Before Long, I heard my huntin buddy say, "Hey A BUTTON" It was a beauty and had 80 to 90% of the Gold Gilt STILL on it. It was an early 1820s era button. In addition, another piece of a larger button and several three ringers and musketballs were found. To top it off, I went back to this spot the next day as I had a "dropped" minie ball fall out of my bag during the hunt the day before when I slide down a mud bank and I wanted to see if I could find it quickly as it was on Christmas Eve and I HAD to be at my girl's family's house that evening. Well, the minie was EXACTLY where I thought it would be and when I turned the coil on all I had to do was put it to the ground and there was the dropped minie!!! With this found, I figured I had some time to kill so I went back to my spot next to the water and where we had found the bayonet the day before and I found a NICE Civil War Bayonet Finial along with a few more three-ringers and musketballs! A PERFECT finish to a great hunt! We had a blast and my buddy did really well for his first time to the spot!!!

P.S. I have MORE pictures to add of the rest of the objects, bullets, and finial which I will do when I get home later. Hope you all enjoy and thanks to all my friends on TNet for taking a look ;) ;) ;) As you can see, relics are in a pre-cleaned condition. So, when they are cleaned up I will post some better pics! ;)

Zoy, KirkPA.....Near the water my friends ;) ;) ;) :D ;D

CivilMan, Will, KFB, TyMcMurray, MM: I know guys like you will get a kick from these things!!

Hope y'all had a Great Christmas and a Happy New Years Eve tomorrow HEHEHE :D ;D ;)

Attachments

• Iron Relics.JPG
    Iron Relics.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 754
  • Bayonet.JPG
    Bayonet.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 766
  • Gold Gilt Button.JPG
    Gold Gilt Button.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 758
  • finial.JPG
    finial.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 486
  • 101_1261.JPG
    101_1261.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 496
Upvote 0
Re: Been away.....back with Relics and Bayonet!!

Congrats with your finds. :P

Re: Been away.....back with Relics and Bayonet!!

Hey Sentinel,good to see you back.Awsome finds! A bayonet,no less,not easy to come by.Looks like you two had a great time.Congrats!

Re: Been away.....back with CW Bullets, Buttons and Bayonet!!

Thats one hell of a hunt buddy! Im happy for you and your friend. I think me and Will are going to try our luck at a new civil war spot tomorrow. He has not lead us wrong with his research and Im willing to bet we will have a good post tomorrow night. (fingers crossed) Hey Will after seeing this post you still want to hunt a house site tomorrow or the fields? ;D

PLEASE post more pics when you have the time. I know how hard it can be with a hectic work schedule! A big pat on the back to you and your friend.

KFB drooling

Outstanding hunt and nice adventure!

My kinda hunting Josh and to see the bayonet come out of the ground had to be something,your's or not.Man I'm ready for a road trip ::) Best of Luck to ya and have a Happy New Year.Excellent's find's....did you get my PM?

I'm sure that bayonet cleaned up nice ;) Hey, went to that spot in Petersburg yesterday and pulled out a nice chunk of cannonball with the threads. Also managed to hit another spot up by my house where I found a nice small brass buckle and some lead. We need to search this site good. Let me know when you plan to come up this way.

Outstanding. Great finds. Sentinel, your research never ceases to amaze me.

DM

Wow, no wonder we haven't seen you posting!!! Awesome finds Josh. Congrats to you and your Bud.
Are these pieces headed for electrolysis?
Is that button by chance a Scovill's?
I see you use the same kitchen sink cleaning method as me. My wife is having a fit every time I scrub up relics in "her" sink and get it dirty. ;D She's actually talking about having one installed in the garage so I can do my cleaning out there. ;D Between my electrolysis setup , ultrasonic cleaner, & rock/coin tumbler, the sink would add to my lab nicely. ;)
Way to go on the finds. You found a great spot there.
-MM-

Thanks KFB. It was a thrill for sure. I can already tell now that this thread has your blood pumping for some CW relics!!

CivilMan, to see a relic like this come from a spot that I had been researching is a unique feeling and one of great joy. It was an awesome day for sure!

DigginMan, thank you for the compliment! Glad you enjoy the pics bud!! ;) ;) :)

ModernMiner said:
Wow, no wonder we haven't seen you posting!!! Awesome finds Josh. Congrats to you and your Bud.
Are these pieces headed for electrolysis?
Is that button by chance a Scovill's?
I see you use the same kitchen sink cleaning method as me. My wife is having a fit every time I scrub up relics in "her" sink and get it dirty. ;D She's actually talking about having one installed in the garage so I can do my cleaning out there. ;D Between my electrolysis setup , ultrasonic cleaner, & rock/coin tumbler, the sink would add to my lab nicely. ;)
Way to go on the finds. You found a great spot there.
-MM-

Oh yeah, they will get some electrolysis, and other clean up! Yep, you are right, I think ALL of us relic hunters use the kitchen sink....ANd we ALL probably here our ladies get on to us about it. Some of them will rust the bottom of your stainless sink fairly quick within minutes....So she definitely complained about that but I ended up being able to scrub it out. As far as the button, I will have to check again...I think it is a "Double Gilt" or "Treble Gilt" button......Heck, I still have to post the rest of the pics when I get home later...And I will let you know then ;)

I see finds like this that haven't been cleaned up and wonder how many people dig similar items up and discard them as junque, not knowing what they have found. I'm sure I found a few myself before I got on Tnet and got educated. Great stuff. Monty

Here are some pics of the relics...

relics07.jpg

piece1.jpg

piece1pt2.jpg

Cleaning some iron

cleaningiron1.jpg

cleanbayonet.jpg

and the BUTTON is "DOUBLE GILT"

Happy hunting.

Great finds Sentinel!!!
Nice to see you back online.
We lost a good place to hunt due to the property selling. *&$%#@@%
Gotta look fo9r some more sites like yours. ;D

nice finds :)

Yep, turned out good! It is nice to see a site that you have researched that PAYS OFF! This day definitely paid off! And you are right Monty, these could easily be mistaken for some iron trash if the person who dug it up did not have a keen eye and a thorough knowledge of Civil War relics. It sure would be a loss to toss something like that though as they are so very rare to come by these days!!

I added the two other pics of the finial and other stuff as well.

GREAT RELICS SENTINEL. THAT MXT IS SURE BEEN GREAT TO YOU..... I LOVE THE GUILT ON THE BUTTON. GOOD TO SEE YOU MADE UP FOR THE PAST WEEKS..........PACO, BDD

Yo, Sentinel, I am glad that you were hunting like John Walter...near the water...in the area of non-glazed pottery...listening for those whispers...digging the "oldies". :D

Keep the fever high, fellow White's loyalist.

Bone Dry Detecting...zoyboy

Hey, Josh, I am glad to see that your research is paying off. You and your buddy definitely hunt the good sites!

Yes, we were along the river, too, today..."Alllll year." :D

Keep the passion high!

BDD...Kirk

JESUS H! Those are some FINE relics! I see you're back now on Tnet full force. Congrats to you and your friend on those enviable finds. Gettin ready to hit the fields with KFB and see if I can get an item or two myself.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back