Beach metal detecting

chase_97

Apr 14, 2014
Alright so I could use a few tips. I'm a newbie at metal detecting. Today was the first time I've ever metal detected at a beach. I'm running the fisher f4 and it's been a pretty decent detector so far, but for some reason on the sand that detector chatters like crazy. On Regular dirt or clay it does fine. Is that normal? Is that just something to expect with a cheaper beginner detector on sand? Any tips out there ? Thanks.

Upvote 1
...fisher f4...for some reason on the sand that detector chatters like crazy...Is that normal?...
tn_md.gif
1st - Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country)...
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from HELP! over to METAL DETECTING for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.
tn_metal_detector.gif
3rd - You might also consider posting your request on FISHER RESEARCH LABS for additional exposure...

Black sand? Black sand can be laden with iron, which is probably what's giving you the chatter.

I haven't done beaches yet (but I watch the vids 😉), but if you google metal detecting black sand (or search the archives here for "black sand") you should find what you need.

2nd - I moved ya from HELP! over to METAL DETECTING for more exposure.
Maybe shoulda moved it to
instead? 🤔

The F4 will not work well on wet salt sand or below the high tide line, salt is made up of metal minerals, since it is not designed for salt environment it thinks there is metal everywhere, hence the constant chatter.

My understanding is that any Multi-Freq. will handle the salt content well, as opposed to a single Freq. machine. Today a Mult-Freq. detector can be had without breaking the bank, in a manner of speaking.

As mentioned, single frequency machines don't work good in salt water and wet salt water sand. You need to get a detector that runs multiple frequencies at one time to detect there effectively. Your machine should work fine in the dry sand though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back