Be-jeweled, marquetry inlay wood box but for what?

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my detecting treasures in this box that I purchased at a thrift store but now I'm intrigued by the box itself.
It's loaded with marquetry inlay and 'jewels' and has a unique hidden hinge.
What is the design under the glass lid? Is it a valuable box or a cheapie? Thanks in advance.

20190305_172347.jpg

20190305_172603.jpg

20190305_172636.jpg

20190305_172746.jpg

20190305_172812.jpg

20190305_172850.jpg

20190305_172928.jpg

Interesting piece! the design looks like a necklace and earring set, so guessing Jewelry box. The inlay combined with the style of the top design makes me think a import from India.

Upvote 0
I was also thinking Middle Eastern. I wonder if it held a bridal suite?

Upvote 0
Hi,

From the photos I think the upper part is a white marble inlay. I have seen such as hadicraft in India very frequently. The jewellery also fits in form (drop or paisley like ornament) and "very rich" style the indian taste.

Tacitly I would bet rather Indian than Middle Eastern.

Greets Namxat

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The meaning of the small ‘eyes’ painted on the lid is to ward off evil spirits.

This is quite common on pieces made in middle eastern countries.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking symbolic design of the Mughal empire, as it reminds me of Mughal jewelry. Looking for examples like yours I found this jewel encrusted 22K gold box for ten grand. Boy wouldn't that be neat to find in a thrift store.

Attachments

• 8860300_1_x.jpg
    8860300_1_x.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0
A cigar box someone decorated looks reall cool whatever it is

Upvote 0
I had a box when I was younger that the inlay slid a little then you slid the other inlay on another side of box and a secret false bottom was a hiding place for something else not saying yours is the same but it had same type of inlay.Mine was a stash box.LOL

Upvote 0
I had a box when I was younger that the inlay slid a little then you slid the other inlay on another side of box and a secret false bottom was a hiding place for something else not saying yours is the same but it had same type of inlay.Mine was a stash box.LOL

I'll be checking that box after work today!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back