Battle Site Surrenders Her Arms - Winchester (UPDATE)

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today with some fine gentlemen from the Midwest Coinshooters Club. Headed out to our un-disclosed battle site near St. Charles. We dug a lot of barbed wire and spent shotgun shells. Haven't quite narrowed down our fire line yet but the tease of the earlier posted pistol ball and forged axe head keeps us encouraged that it's only a matter of time.
Toward the end of the day, some of the fellas had left and I found myself in a deep gully with nearly chest high boulders on either side of me and separated by about eighteen inches. I squeezed myself into the narrow channel and swung the Vaqueros coil into the bottom of the gully. I got a decent signal and placed the detector up high and out of harms way. I didn't want to risk having it rolling into the channel.
I began digging carefully until I exposed an elongated ring of metal with a shape that was familiar to me. I began sweating profusely by this point and I knew I had something special.
I don't know how it happened but just then my scoop slipped out of my hand and into a manhole sized pit. I could just see it about six feet further down but it was impossible to reach. I would be putting my safety in jeopardy by trying to retrieve it.
I had made my sacrificial offering to the relic gods, the trowel belongs to them now but never mind that.
Before the scoop took it's final journey, I had managed to expose enough of my prize that the tool wasn't needed. I rubbed a bit of the mud off a section to just see the word Winchester. I gingerly lifted it out of the hole and this is what I brought home.
The steel item in the middle pic is some type of farm implement.
More to follow. :wink:
Don't get TOO excited.

Attachments

• 100_3807CARS.JPG
    100_3807CARS.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,438
  • 100_3809SMALL.JPG
    100_3809SMALL.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 1,453
  • 100_3810SMALL.JPG
    100_3810SMALL.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,433
Upvote 0
Re: Battle Site Surrenders Her Arms - Winchester

cool lets see the rusty pic!!!! MR TUFF

Don't you hate being teased?

Are you serious?

Wow you and that Tesoro I sold you are getting along just fine!

Where's the pic of the gun?

I see a shadow! :D

Great to see your having fun partner.

MMS

:laughing7: I'm having fun with this! Mike you should be getting a PM.

:violent1: :violent1: :violent1: I will put you on IGNORE if you tease us much longer and don't produce a photo of the real deal ;D

Ok, Ok. Hint taken.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

Winchester Mattel Crrackfire!! (correctly spelled)

Attachments

• 100_3812SMALL.JPG
    100_3812SMALL.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,398
  • 100_3814SMALL.JPG
    100_3814SMALL.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,399
More Finds from the Battle Site.

Still trying to determine what this bracket with the holes in it was for?

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 1,193
  • chainlinks.jpg
    chainlinks.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,182
  • chain.jpg
    chain.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,180
  • axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,185
  • axehead.jpg
    axehead.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,185
  • bullet.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 1,113
  • iron.jpg
    iron.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,164
  • bracket2.jpg
    bracket2.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 1,178
  • bullet3.jpg
    bullet3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,131
Hey Tim, Just saw those this morning! :icon_thumright: Thanks for posting them!

Could the "Bracket with holes in it" be a knife or sword tang? Just looks like it could be the metal that is sandwiched in the handle.

Two days of Electrolysis has removed most of the rust from this piece of Iron, but I am no closer to identifying what it was
The guy who saw it when I found it said it was "slag".

Was found around the edge of the sunken area not far from where you found the Musket ball and farm implement

Attachments

• iron.jpg
    iron.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 723
  • iron.jpg
    iron.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 721
  • iron2b.jpg
    iron2b.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 722
  • iron2a.jpg
    iron2a.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 723
Nice job Tim!!!! Looks great!
Is it too thick to be a part of a knife blade? That straight edge is intriguing.

The Chain link pieces and the piece with two holes in it are so old and rusted there are no electrically conductive places to atach a wire or clip to use electrolysis to clean them... my wife suggested to file down an area to get to the metal, but I'm hoping to find a less damaging way to get the rust off.

The Axe head I am working on cleaning by electrolysis is coming along well, and you can almost read the writing engraved in it now.

Master Sarge said:
This may be a crazy question, but how old is that gun?
Manufactured by Mattel in the mid-60's early 70's. Pristine examples of this and other toy rifles in this line fetch hundreds of dollars.

@Tim... I electro'ed my axe head again yesterday using one gallon instead of two. It was coming along pretty well until the charger errored on me while my daughter and I were having dinner at Sonic. I won't be leaving it unnattended again.
Call me! I got the itch! We need to get out there.

"Keen Kutter -Made in USA- "

"4" on Back

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 261
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 267
  • Keen Kutter.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 228
  • 4.jpg