Battle of Nashville...2hour hunt today..good yield!!

Jpro

Jun 23, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 2
Nice finds Johnny. It was a great day today. I found 6 side cast fired rounds today. See you at the club hunt.

Attachments

• image-1280380972.jpg
    image-1280380972.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 124
Nice finds Johnny. It was a great day today. I found 6 side cast fired rounds today. See you at the club hunt.

I'll be there..bringing my coin hound detector..lol
Should be lots fun. Love your 3ringers..beautiful bullets

???what is side cast....and those do not appear to have been fired?

I was told that they were made in a mold in the field. See the mold line down the top right bullet. It's on all of them but not easy to see in the pic. What do you think? I'm still learning all this.

Yep,you are right,those well defined lines are indeed from the two piece mold,and usually not that "pristeen",once fired......if they are not fired or they are,they are still in exceptional condition,and prize pieces for sure!!!

I should point out ......when a mini ball like these are loaded the rifle barrel is actually a slightly smaller diameter than the projectile,so some considerable force is used to push it down the barrel to seat it over the powder charge with a rod,called a "RamRod",this rod usually leaves an imprint in the nose of the bullet,then the firing of the projectile leaves rifling marks if the barrel was rifled....and then of course the projectile striking anything at the speeds they would would travel will damage or deform them....none of which is seen in your specimen's.I do beleive if one was to sell,un-fired demand a slightly higher price

Last edited:
The minnie ball is actually slightly SMALLER than the bore diameter. An example would be a .58 rifle musket shooting a .575 minnie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back