Bang...bang! Stockpile of bullets about a foot deep? 1683 Mass Property

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening, friends,

John found a whole bunch of bullets in a hole about 16 inches wide and about a foot down. They are 1-5/16 inches long and 3/8 inches wide. Would anyone know an approximate date for these? I wonder why they were all together like that. He also found a cute sheep or lamb toy made of lead. Also a couple of musketballs. And some type of a badge or buckle, very tiny. Hope you are all having a great day. Thanks for looking, Lisa and John

Attachments

• IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    663.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    666.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    599.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    676.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    807.9 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 10
Funny you posted these bullets. I was just showing my wife one of the bullets I found like this several years ago and mine too has part of the casing left

Funny you posted these bullets. I was just showing my wife one of the bullets I found like this several years ago and mine too has part of the casing left

Cool, maybe we'll both find out more about them! -L&J

Nice finds. Looks like 22 shells. Someone must have spilled the box. Congrats

HH RN

From the length and diameter, they could be Winchester .38-40 Caliber ammo. See the specifications on the right side of page at the link below. Considering the condition and amount of deterioration, they are likely from the 1930's or 1920's as production stopped in 1937 and has only recently begun again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38-40_Winchester

Frank

Nice finds. Looks like 22 shells. Someone must have spilled the box. Congrats

HH RN

Thanks, Relic--yeah, probably just someone being clumsy. -L&J

Too big to be .22 shells plus they are centerfire and not rimfire.

Frank
Thanks, I couldn't tell from picture. For some reason I can't zoom in.

HH RN

From the length and diameter, they could be Winchester .38-40 Caliber ammo. See the specifications on the right side of page at the link below. Considering the condition and amount of deterioration, they are likely from the 1930's or 1920's as production stopped in 1937 and has only recently begun again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38-40_Winchester

Frank

Frank, that's great! Thanks so much for the info. -L&J
PS--I have a ton of American ginseng growing in my yard. Never really knew what to do with it except make tea!

Frank, that's great! Thanks so much for the info. -L&J
PS--I have a ton of American ginseng growing in my yard. Never really knew what to do with it except make tea!

You could dig some and sell it but you need to check the Ginseng Harvesting and Selling Laws and Rules for Massachusetts. They may allow personal use but not harvesting to sell. Ginseng in New York has peaked anywhere from $750 to over $1,200 a pound for dried roots, so if it is legal to harvest Ginseng in Massachusetts and sell it, then prices for your Ginseng roots should not be far off what New Yorkers are getting. However, I have no info on the prices up there for this year. If legal for you to harvest and sell, just make sure you only harvest a portion of the legal plants. A good rule is, 3 prongs of 8 to 10 years old or older and any 4 prong plants are legal but it is best to leave as many as possible to propagate the crops. Also, make sure to plant all seeds found on or around any plants. Also, you got any pics?

Good luck!

Frank

They do look more like .38-40 to me.
Nice find

Very nice relics! The small lead animal is very interesting, congratulations! :occasion14:

They do look more like .38-40 to me.
Nice find

Thanks, Tom, I'm wondering when we will find our first weapon to go along with all of these bullets in musketballs! -L&J

Very nice relics! The small lead animal is very interesting, congratulations! :occasion14:

Thanks, Doc. Could have been something the blacksmith made for the slave children or school children (original owner was a slave trader and at one time there was a school on the property). Who knows. -L&J

You could dig some and sell it but you need to check the Ginseng Harvesting and Selling Laws and Rules for Massachusetts. They may allow personal use but not harvesting to sell. Ginseng in New York has peaked anywhere from $750 to over $1,200 a pound for dried roots, so if it is legal to harvest Ginseng in Massachusetts and sell it, then prices for your Ginseng roots should not be far off what New Yorkers are getting. However, I have no info on the prices up there for this year. If legal for you to harvest and sell, just make sure you only harvest a portion of the legal plants. A good rule is, 3 prongs of 8 to 10 years old or older and any 4 prong plants are legal but it is best to leave as many as possible to propagate the crops. Also, make sure to plant all seeds found on or around any plants. Also, you got any pics?

Good luck!

Frank

Frank, what awesome info, thanks! At one time I did look into it, and I positively ID'd them by the little flowers that grew. I do have photos somewhere, but I'm not sure where. I'd have to dig them out, so to speak. The plants are still there now, so maybe I'll take a few pictures over the weekend. I remember reading that the roots should be a certain size before you harvest? Anyway, I really appreciate your expertise. These plants grow all along my 400 foot driveway. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to continue the conversation. Take care! -Lisa

What is on the bottoms of the shells? Any numbers or letters at all?

Almost look like 30 carbine except all of them I have seen were FMJ's and not lead.

Last edited:
What is on the bottoms of the shells? Any numbers or letters at all?

Almost look like 30 carbine except all of them I have seen were FMJ's and not lead.

Hi Scuba, no markings on the bullets. Thanks for your thoughts. -L&J

check out 38 long colt and also there seems to be a head stamp on the base of the cases looks military jmo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back