Baggage cart

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought this cart at auction a couple of weeks ago. Was advertised as a railroad baggage handlers cart. Heavy and made of Oak its 30" wide and 76" long. It has two metal wheels covered in rubber about 9" in diameter. I've not been able to find anything like it online. Anyone else ever see something like this?

Attachments

• baggage cart.jpg
    baggage cart.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 348
  • baggage cart 2.jpg
    baggage cart 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 259
Looks more like a vintage feed store wheelbarrow or feed mill wheelbarrow (Used for moving sacks of feed, seed, flour etc), and if used by the RR they probably used it for moving sacks also.

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice piece. The closest thing I found was a cotton bale cart.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
It's a tobacco cart, more precisely a duckbill tobacco cart. I posted info. on your other thread here- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/298437-latest-finds.html

The tracks were used for sliding the baskets off of the cart, which is aslo why the profile is so low to the ground. When tobacco was tied in "hands" the hands were stacked in baskets then wheeled to the scale for weighing. The practice of tying hands went out of fashion once they started making bales instead, the carts were still used though. I have first hand experience with the use of one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back