Bad day turned into Big Silver, 1892-s Barber Half!

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to one of my old spots in the woods that has some history to metal detect. I've been all over this place many times and it's kinda dried up as far as finds lately. I spent hours detecting and had nothing to show, not even a Memorial cent! I was ready to pack it in about 1:45 pm when I decided to take a rest and set the coil down. I set it on a spot I had been over before. For some reason the V3i started screaming like it was over an aluminum can. I think the VDI was about 89, so I decided to pinpoint it, and it was showing 2.5 to 3 inches down.
Gotta be junk...I better dig it. I cut a plug and a dirt clod rolled out. The edge of a silver coin was showing. I thought, "Cool! A silver quarter! -Probably a Washington." I broke the clod away and it revealed an 1892-s Barber half!!! My best coin find ever! Sweet!

I didn't rub it, and carefully placed it in my fleece jacket pocket by itself. I got home, called my brother to tell him about the find and he looked it up and told me it was the first year Barber Half, and being an "S" mintmark, this coin is worth a least a few hundred bucks or more!!!
I didn't clean or even wash the coin off, it's just as it came out of that clod. If you guys think this coin is worth slabbing/appraising, I'm open to any advice. Any ideas about cleaning would be cool too. I haven't done a thing to it, I don't want to ruin it.

Attachments

• 1892 Front.JPG
    1892 Front.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 435
  • 1892 Back.JPG
    1892 Back.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 450
Upvote 17
Nice barber half and in great shape.way to go

$233 in poor condition to $3500 in perfect condition.
I'd say you found yourself a $1000 coin from the looks of it.
What a killer find! Great job!

Great job, I'd get it stabbed and keep it safe

Good for you,, that is an awesome coin. Congrats :occasion14:

$233 in poor condition to $3500 in perfect condition.
I'd say you found yourself a $1000 coin from the looks of it.
What a killer find! Great job!
Seriously? Man, I'm gonna have to get it slabbed for sure! I almost hate the thought of selling it though.

awsome barber! HH

I appreciate the comments, guys. I will look into slabbing it! Up here in Washington State, finding those older coins are few and far between, I don't think I'll ever top this one.

Sweet find, WTG. HH!!!

Two Words for the cleaning- QTip ONLY.
Nice find and I mean NICE. The quality, the luster OH YEAH!!! You found something worth hundreds there, BOOYA!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back