May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I wasn't out digging with Dad today, I took up an old offer to do a test pit in someones backyard. Its in the centre of a Roman Town, so I was expecting something at least.
My observations were as follows;

3.5 Foot of totally stile soil - no finds (strange)
No layers other than Roman, ie. no Medieval or post medieval (odd)
At 4 ft a piece of 17th C Staffordshire Slip Ware (very odd, as it was mixed with the first signs of Roman stuff)
In the top left corner I hit what I think is the edge of a Roman Pit - Animal Bone, Oyster Shell, Glass & Pottery present.
Also strange - No Nails.

When I return I will aim for where I think the middle of the pit is, go bigger & deeper.

A good 2 hours of what I call fun!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    678.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 111
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Upvote 14
Good Lord thats a neat hole.......i m gonna ask you to come with me on the River we could be digging partner some nice finds though!!!

Well done

RR

Good Lord thats a neat hole.......i m gonna ask you to come with me on the River we could be digging partner some nice finds though!!!

Well done

RR

I would love to join you, but at the moment I only hold a standard permit, not a Mudlarking type. Anyways, I do hope to visit again at some point.

is that pottery terra sigilata (dont sure if i spell it right)

is that pottery terra sigilata (dont sure if i spell it right)

Yes but we call it Samian Ware, it was imported from Southern Gaul & is high status tableware.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back