Back to the lake!!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I'm sure glad that mystery chick popped up here and made her one post!! It worked out nice for Pops and I. Today we went back to Buggs Island and hunted a new spot. The lake is near 900 miles of shore and holds tons of history. The water is so low that islands that were once occupied are visible. Not only visible, but large masses one can walk on. We hunted an island today that I have only seen on fish finders. I didn't do all that great, but pops did fair.

image-1781311070.jpg

image-3546876573.jpg

image-1457995752.jpg

image-1196105230.jpg

I'll post more tomorrow that he found. I found some glazed pottery. I know it's not native, but could it be trade?

image-2309228317.jpg

image-3600104976.jpg

image-3637586070.jpg

image-1293841887.jpg

I also found an agricultural tool. Can you believe that an island large enough to once have gardens grown on it is under water far enough to ski over now? Just doesn't register right in my head, but any way.

image-2502187611.jpg

image-1622326112.jpg

image-186115135.jpg

image-4040040314.jpg

image-4040040314.jpg

image-1162682902.jpg

image-1815639001.jpg

Upvote 0
and always remember them islands
was once hill tops,that why there islands now
and Indian loved hill tops

chiefbigbs said:
and always remember them islands
was once hill tops,that why there islands now
and Indian loved hill tops

True. These islands were in the Roanoke river during time of occupancy. They have damed the river, putting these massive islands under 30 foot of water. They can open the dam and allow water to flow down the river. They damed up a portion of the Roanoke river, changed the name of that part to the Staunton river, and rerelease the water into the other side of the Roanoke. What I just wrote probably doesn't make much sense. Sorry about that.

made lot of sence,man will not leave things alone.
it was a fine river before,and now its a man made mess.!!

chiefbigbs said:
made lot of sence,man will not leave things alone.
it was a fine river before,and now its a man made mess.!!

That it is. A mess!

True. These islands were in the Roanoke river during time of occupancy. They have damed the river, putting these massive islands under 30 foot of water. They can open the dam and allow water to flow down the river. They damed up a portion of the Roanoke river, changed the name of that part to the Staunton river, and rerelease the water into the other side of the Roanoke. What I just wrote probably doesn't make much sense. Sorry about that.

If you can get the old maps before the impoundment it will even show the mounds or rock walls and springs and such. I used them when I tournament fished. Great for hunting artifacts as well. Nice relics you found today. I dug an old bottle dump by accident :)

Tnmountains said:
If you can get the old maps before the impoundment it will even show the mounds or rock walls and springs and such. I used them when I tournament fished. Great for hunting artifacts as well. Nice relics you found today. I dug an old bottle dump by accident :)

I have a waterproof map of this lake for fishing. It has all if the submerged railroad tracks, islands, roads, rock walls, and of course the feeder waters. The map has been more valuable to my fishing and artifact hunting than I can believe.

wow 2 petrified rabbits ,what a find,get out the fiddle the trouble with hunting lakes here is that the corp gets uptight and will fine u for picking them up.your supposed to let them stay so they will get washed into the channels and get covered with 29 ft of silt so they will never again b seen

Last edited:
Stay on your side NC. heehee. Had great luck today. I want to call in sick tomorrow so I can cover more ground with the water low. Happy hunting!

gwhitson said:
wow 2 petrified rabbits ,what a find,get out the fiddle the trouble with hunting lakes here is that the corp gets uptight and will fine u for picking them up.your supposed to let them stay so they will get washed into the channels and get covered with 29 ft of silt so they will never again b seen

I'm scared it will be like that here soon. Unemployment is up and people have nothing but time. For the first time ever, I saw footprints while hunting. I wish I had never publicized the paleo finds of me and my dad's. Hind sight 20/20. I think they are officially retired as of today. Damage, already done.

Sad to hear but true. I have also seen foot prints in places I have been.

Nice hunt....

Are those largys in your user picture? Too small of a pic to tell.

fish1on said:
Nice hunt....

Are those largys in your user picture? Too small of a pic to tell.

Yes, they are small largies. They were only about 3 1/2 to 4 lbs. nothing big.

gwhitson said:

I finally got what the heck you were talking about! LOL! My new, old looking rabbit statues. Fiddle time for sure! 1 and 2 and 3 and4!! Get down! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back