Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had rain over night and every time it rains I find new "treasures" at the demolished house sites. I'm still looking for the silver but it has eluded me. I am getting closer though. I hunted about two hours and uncovered just junk and in the last ten minutes searched an area about two feet square. I dug out three wheat pennies and a 1966 quarter! The wheaties were 1923, 1941 and 1952. They were so dirty I wasn't able to read the mint marks though. I know that silver is there! I know it! I know it!

Upvote 0
Gold was easy! Found a fairly large gold chain the second time out! Pure beginner's luck I admit and I think it gave me a flalse sense of security. I thought, "Man this metal detecting is easy!" Sorry to say I expected to find something of excellent worth every time thereafter. I'm beginning to settle down now and get my bearings and now find treasure nearly every time out altlhough not silver or gold necessarily. Is that how it goes for most of us? The challenge is part of the endeavor on these 2 sites I am working. I didn't have to do much research as I am familiar with the properties and the neighborhood from my youth to now, over50 years. I was the oldest grandchild and as such got to go places with my Grandmother way before the other grandkids. She was a widow woman and got a stipend at the first of every month from my Grandad's death. She would always go to Tulsa shopping and take me with her. We would walk right by these houses on the way to catch the trolly to Tulsa and she knew everyone in the neighborhood. We would stop by these houses and she would visit with the people who lived there. I remember a lot of faces and a few names from those times, but most of all I remember how the neighborhood looked then. This was in the early 1950's. Most , if not all of the people who lived there are long ago deceased and a couple of generations of new occupants have lived there. So, it's not just an old homesite to me but a part of my life and history. Maybe that's why it is so important to me?

Jim, I know too that not everyone had money to lose. Some areas that didn't have a lot of traffic aren't going to give up a lot of coins, etc. I know the feelings about your grandmother, I had pretty much the same situation with both of mine, going to town with eggs, milk, cream, and homemade cheese. It's not always easy to find treasure or everyone would be doing it. LOL The ability to get out and relax, bringing back memories of friends and family is a treasure in itself.

Spent 3 hours on the site this morning digging around the general area where I found some of the wheat pennies. As I was sitting and smoking and thinking about what I was doing it occured to me that I was not having fun anymore. When it reaches this point it's time to move on. So, I am going to give it a rest for awhile and go do some coinshooting and just enjoy myself. Later!

Sounds like you have a real nice site, taking a break from it will releave some of the tension. Just think once you clear most of the trash you will start to hit more of the treasures. Good luck, keep it up and HH!

Attachments

• Bulldozer.jpg
    Bulldozer.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Bulldozer.jpg
    Bulldozer.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 168

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back