Back After a Few Years Off

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Well, after losing both my detectors in a divorce over two years ago (lost in a move, not to my ex-wife,) I finally gave in to my urges, went to a local pawn shop and picked up an ancient Bounty Hunter 2D-707. No pinpointing, no depth indicator, but a solid detector nonetheless. I figured that I'd pick up a $45 detector to see if the treasure bug had worn off.....nope. Still there, raging away. Got started on a house I had just moved into about 9:00 tonight and went till midnight, managed 37 Memorials, 2 clad Roosevelts, a '56-D Wheatie and a 43-D Merc, along with 7 keys, a large fishing spoon and an aluminum '96 Olympics medallion. Ahhh, to feel the dirt under my nails and the jingle in my pocket. TH'ing, I have missed you! :D

Upvote 0
Soon enough. The detectors I lost, they're still pretty painful to talk about, were a White's Eagle Spectrum and a *choke* Minelab Explorer XS. :'( I got pretty discouraged after the loss and that's partially why I stayed away so long. After those detectors, this BH is a shot in the arm. I'm thinking about moving up to maybe a mid-range Garrett or a high end Bounty Hunter. Any suggestions?

Most everyone has great things to say about the new Garrett ACE 250.

Multiple Modes, Depth & Target IDs and Pinpoint feature.

$200-250 depending where you purchase from. Best MD for that price range IMHO.

Okay, back from Kellyco. You're right, Yank, that does seem to pack a punch as far as options are concerned. And only $199 online right now. Maybe so...... ;)

Great finds with that Pawn Shop Special. That just goes to show ya they all worked its just the new bells and whistles that they say make it easier. Too bad about the Minelab loss. I would have to go see a shrink for anti deppressants. :o. The Ace is a great machine. Only downside is you cant get near the Beach with it. Sands ok, but from what I hear its hard to settle down near the water. There are a hundred ace users on this board though and they will set you straight on it. Good Luck and Welcome back. HH

:( Sorry bout your machines, but it's good to hear that you have another :)

May you only find good stuff!

Thanks for your support, everyone. Great to be back in the family. Planning a little hunt at lunch time and again after work. After a little research, the Ace 250 does seem the way to go, and as for it having problems at beaches, well, the nearest is about 15 hours away, so I can probably disregard beach-combing with all the positive things everyone has said about it. Have a great day, everyone!

Welcome back,Nice finds!! WTG!!

Good story, welcome back to the hobby!

Nice finds too!

hh

Lonewolfe

Welcome back. This is a great hobby and website.

HH Jer

Aaaaahhhh

NIGHT STALKER SAYS WELCOME BACK

I also was forced to take a break from MDing - some low life, punk a**, thieving SOB stole all my gear from my car and probably sold it at scrap metal prices to buy some crack rock. A valuable lesson learned - lock it up and stay away from downtown convenience stores.

I hope I someday see this punk out using my gear! I know my gear, I engraved my last name and last for of SSN on the bottom and on the upper shaft. That would be my greatest find....

Ahh, if I had thought to do that. I'm fairly certain the detectors were stolen rather than lost, and there aren't that many Minelabs walking around in my neck of the woods, New Mexico, so it might have been an easy find.

hey floater the ace isnt THAT bad at the beach. mine did fine in both the dry and wet sand. it was only in the really wet sand where the waves were crashing that i got problems from the salt water. (a lot of falsing) all in all i would give it a C+ at the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back